Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the tank is empty, but still smells of gas. It was just made, and there are a couple places where it is seeping or sweating out. I have ground down the welds, and want to weld the seams again, but I am afraid the gas will ignight...any ideas?

Is there a chemical I can put in there to Neutralize the gas?

Oh, it is a steel tank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Fill the tank with Water that will displace the fumes then you can weld or (Braze) the seams

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I have welded my tank I washed it of a few time with TSP and very hot water, rinced it out a few time, let it air dry for a few days then welded it, no problems. Whay you can do is pip your car exhaust into it so ther is no air for ingnition

·
Registered
214 Posts
Be careful you don't have any air pockets. I had one 'pop' a little when the small air pocket was ignited. Mainly cause I had the part to weld at the top and that is where the air pocket was. Have also heard to purge it with carbonmonoxide (exhaust gas) but have never tried that. Just don't use hot exhaust gases if you try it.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
rfrey said:
Well, the tank is empty, but still smells of gas. It was just made, and there are a couple places where it is seeping or sweating out. I have ground down the welds, and want to weld the seams again, but I am afraid the gas will ignight...any ideas?

Is there a chemical I can put in there to Neutralize the gas?

Oh, it is a steel tank.

Thanks.
Hi there, it's me again. Yes, you can take the hose off of the Argon/Co2 mix bottle, crank the regulator open and purge the tank with it. Keep it flowing while you weld it up. No oxygen, no combustion.

We have also plumbed the exhaust from a Honda into a gas tank before to weld it up. Heat from the exhaust gets more of the fumes out and the Hondas burn clean enough that they don't add any more. Also a non-oxygen atmosphere.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
if you have a tig set up shoot it with a argon purge, doesn't stink and works great

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Old Scout said:
Fill it 1/2 full of water and then drop in a chunk of dry ice. I just epoxied up my holes.

wooOOOOoo a cool bubbly smokey co2 purge! ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I remember something we learned in Aviation maintenance school about purging with steam. Don't ask me how you will get the steam there, but I remember hearing something about it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
You can shoot a CO2 fire extinguisher in there if you can pirate one from work. Just make sure it is a co2 style, not a water or dry chem one. Works fine.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a friend with a CO2 bottle I was thinking about borrowing. How does that sound?

What is TSP? And were can I get it?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
rfrey said:
I have a friend with a CO2 bottle I was thinking about borrowing. How does that sound?

tsp.....its a cleaner,home depot. paint section. and filling it with water does NOT work :eek: .

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
rfrey said:

TSP=Tri sodium phosphate. Don't worry about it you don't need it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so if I get the CO2 bottle, how do I use it??? This is what I am guessing...please let me know if I am right.

plug all the openings in the tank, excluding one. Place a hose, which will supply the CO2 into the tank into the open hole. Plug this hole with a rag, not quite tight enough so the CO2 can circulate out, but no O2 can get in. Start welding. Now I have to go all the way around the tank...probibly 60"...do you think I will have a problem?

Thanks,
Ryan

PS. All the gas is out of the tank. The rest of it dried up today in the sun.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Old Scout said:
Fill it 1/2 full of water and then drop in a chunk of dry ice. I just epoxied up my holes.
This is the best solution I've ever seen.Trying to wash them out never works.Hell,it's cheap and looks cool.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just washed mine out with the varsol bath, its filled with non flammable solvent. the wash the solvent remains out with gas later.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just-fabricate-it said:
Be careful you don't have any air pockets. I had one 'pop' a little when the small air pocket was ignited. Mainly cause I had the part to weld at the top and that is where the air pocket was. Have also heard to purge it with carbonmonoxide (exhaust gas) but have never tried that. Just don't use hot exhaust gases if you try it.
I have done this quite a few times repairig aircraft fuel tanks when I am in a hurry or when they run auto gas works good as I'm still around and It's cheaper then purging with argon .

rich

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, since there is not an actual drip, it only seems to sweat...should I use epoxie or something similar? I saw something like this at Pep Boys....would this be a long term fix...sure it is safer, and that is what I am going for...

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So what are you trying to say??? It's hard for me to read between the lines! Soon as I get my rig done, I may change it to that...it won't be as sexy, matter of fact, nobody will notice my aviater anymore

1 - 20 of 28 Posts