Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut the bottom of the housing, made a plate to weld on 3/8 thick. I wanted to know if the housing will move (flex, expand or contract) during welding. should the carrier be installed to (hold) everthing in place. Could someone who has done this let me know. I will be preheating the housing and use a nickel rod to weld the plate on. Thankx.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
newbie, try the search function with D60 and Shaved in the search criteria. There are about 6 big threads in the last year with discussions about this.

I am about to do the same thing. From my research, yes it would help to have the carrier back in. But barring that, at least bolt the cover on tightly and work your way slowly around the weld and don't get it too hot. I am wondering why you chose to go only with 3/8" plate? A couple of folks on this board chose 1/2" so that there is room to drill and tap bolt holes so a shaved and modified cover can be bolted on to the bottom lip of the pumkin. It is the general consensus that if you dont mod your diff cover like described, you will have a tough time getting a good seal.

If you have a different plan, I would love to hear it.

SeanP

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
As far as welding it goes, besides the preheat and nickle rod, peen the bead with the pointed end of your slag chipper as it cools below the critical temperature (dull red) and then insulate the entire weldment so that it cools as slowly as possible.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You need to be carefull with this, i have seen them shrink .080 at the center of the carrier bearing, that is allot at the weld and it was pinned. The best way is to use a dana case spreader to hold it. steve differential eng. inc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.