Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you weld on a exhaust with the truck running without shooting flames out? at my work our beater work truck is a 85 s10 with a 2.8 with no cat. and it has like 20 pin holes all along where the cat was cut out. and i suck at welding so that would help.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
id find them, then mark them. have you ever tried welding in the wind? acts the same way...

turn it off, then weld it.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i tried that i just have a crappy flux core welder and im a amature at welding so i weld it up and it still leaks out my booger welds.

and just for the heck of it... i never welded in the wind whats the problem with doing that?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
with a mig the wind blows the gas around and makes for an unpleasant experience, but you have a flux core.

Whats the deal with the cat being cut out? If its legal I doubt a muffler shop would charge your more than $20 or so to weld it. I got my muffler taken out of my diesel and they charged me $40 to cut the muffler out, make a straight pipe, and weld it in.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
---yes- a running engine WILL blow the molten metal out of the weld ----

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with a mig the wind blows the gas around and makes for an unpleasant experience, but you have a flux core.

Whats the deal with the cat being cut out? If its legal I doubt a muffler shop would charge your more than $20 or so to weld it. I got my muffler taken out of my diesel and they charged me $40 to cut the muffler out, make a straight pipe, and weld it in.

Chris
two problems with that, yeah its illegal no muffler shops will touch it. ive went through crap trying to get them to do my blazer which was vin'ed a diesal. and my boss is the worlds biggest tightwad he wont pay for anything unless its making him money or its totally broke.

the cat got cloged so of course instead of buying a new one which he is going to have to do when emissions roll back around he just had the guys next door cut it out

guess ill just leave it the heck alone

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why in the first place would you want to weld on a running vehicle?

There are just too many things that can go wrong there with added amp's that could ruin any electronics on the vehicle! Really you ought to have the vehicle off and the battery disconnected. Personally on a quicky job i have skipped that step but did turn it off. Its just a good rule of thumb to disconnect all electronics aka "battery" before welding

·
Registered
173 Posts
Whatever floats yur boat!

I guess its about the same as my buddy lookin down the barrel of his loaded pistol to make sure there was a shiney bullet in there...

·
Registered
173 Posts
If its just a beater work truck and you cant weld just leave the fawkin thing be.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If its just a beater work truck and you cant weld just leave the fawkin thing be.
yeah its been leaking for about a year, its just more annoying then anything. i can live with it.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sadly weve actually tried some of that crap before. a few years back when it was leaking before the cat. but its to close to the engine and that crap just falls off within a week. it worked long enough to get it through emissions

·
Registered
356 Posts
IT's the bosses cars. If he does not worry about it, then you don't either.

Let the shitbox alone. If the owner of said shitbox does not care, neither should you.

If it bothers you, drive the shitbox over a curb and pull the whole fuckin exhaust off and leave it in the yard.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
IT's the bosses cars. If he does not worry about it, then you don't either.

Let the shitbox alone. If the owner of said shitbox does not care, neither should you.

If it bothers you, drive the shitbox over a curb and pull the whole fuckin exhaust off and leave it in the yard.
lol ive been tempted to. i like driving it cause that way i use his gas and its such a shitbox that i dont have to worry about anyone messing with it or hitting it. ive had to do that with the portable oil pump for the oil furnace, the thing was so screwed up and he just had the "deal with it" attitude. so i ended up accidently droping it a few times then he bought a new one after i got the you need to respect equiptment more speech.

funny thing is im the only one who drives it. if he needs a pick up truck he will take my truck. i always tell him to take the s10 but he wont.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
.... if he needs a pick up truck he will take my truck. i always tell him to take the s10 but he wont.
He takes your personal truck? WTF is that about?

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He takes your personal truck? WTF is that about?
i dont mind, hes the one who knows the guys at ford and got me a good deal on it, also i store a ton of stuff at work and hes givin me trailers and other stuff.

i bought a new truck about two months ago and he hasnt used it yet. i think he knows ill be mad if he messes this one out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts