Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Back before you could buy toyota high steer arms, I welded up and made my own with a 220 arc welder and nickel rods. I seen my welded arms hold up to hydro steering and 40's with a v-8.

Just my ast exp.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the knuckle forged or cast?? do I need a high nickel rod or can I use a really healthy mig?

·
Registered
40 Posts
That was a cast knuckle, For the nickel rods. I have never had good luck welding cast with a mig. If It is forged steel I would think that a powerful mig could do the trick. However, I would try and develop a back up plan for a trail repair. possibly a extra made up knuckle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
chris i meant to ask you do they make high steer arms for your application. Or are you trying to do this the cheap way. sometimes the time and effort just arn't worth it!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the proper arm and knuckles but the machine shops around here are a little insane on price when it come to milling and drilling my flat tops. But i can prep and weld the hell out of these for next to nothing. I have seen D60 knuckles with welded bracing and high steer and that is why I'm thinking of cheaping out and doing it with my D44. I've seen 3 point hitches on tractors welded back onto the cast rear end housing with the same welder.... :homer:

·
Registered
530 Posts
go on ebay, or a number of venders I know the guy on ebay does it for like 40 bucks plus a flat rate shipping.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
go on ebay, or a number of venders I know the guy on ebay does it for like 40 bucks plus a flat rate shipping.
flat rate shipping means nothing when they have to come back to Canada. Turns $40 into $140 real easy. I might have to though. I might temp fate and ask this question in general and see what happens.

·
Registered
109 Posts
you don't need to use nickel rod if the knuckles are cast steel. However if the knuckles are cast iron, which I hardly dought they are you will need to weld them with a nickle rod. Since the knuckles are probibly cast steel then you can use 7018 when welding to the knuckles, but you will need to preheat the knuckle to 500 degrees and keep it very close to that while you are welding on the knuckles. If you do decide to use a nickle rod then go to a reputable welding outlet store and ask them which nickle rod would best fit your need since there are several types of rod you could use. Best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts