Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what do you use to weld like axles and stuff , Things that has to hold strong, and last long? Mig or Arc? Or is this a totally stupid question? :(

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
you can use either and have it strong, I use mig caus its easier for me.

·
Registered
975 Posts
what do you use to weld like axles and stuff , Things that has to hold strong, and last long? Mig or Arc? Or is this a totally stupid question? :(

Anything .25" or thicker gets arc.

Thats because my mig is a flux/95, & i'm tired of the spatter:flipoff2:.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
if the mig is big enough, i usually do everything in MIG... but thats because its easiest for me to create a nice weld. (well... an alright weld. :laughing:)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
They both weld -- the question you ought to be asking is how much amperage is needed, not the means of supplying that amperage.

MIG welding is very convenient -- just drop in a spool of wire, hit the gas, and go. Arc has a much wider range of potential welds, including dissimilar metals, high strength rods, hard-surfacing, cutting, etc., all of which have their time and place.

If you can only go with one, get the arc. A MIG under 185 amps is pretty much worthless for any real suspension work, though a smaller unit might work with a lot of patience and many passes. They get pricey at that range...

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
They both weld -- the question you ought to be asking is how much amperage is needed, not the means of supplying that amperage.

MIG welding is very convenient -- just drop in a spool of wire, hit the gas, and go. Arc has a much wider range of potential welds, including dissimilar metals, high strength rods, hard-surfacing, cutting, etc., all of which have their time and place.

If you can only go with one, get the arc. A MIG under 185 amps is pretty much worthless for any real suspension work, though a smaller unit might work with a lot of patience and many passes. They get pricey at that range...
X2

You can run a nice looking bead on a piece of railroad rail with a 100amp mig welder.

anything 3/16 down gets the 175 lincoln co2 argon mix with .030 wire.

anything larger gets 7018AC

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I think of ARC more for stuff you don't / can't prep & field repairs. We run the Miller 215 on almost everything, with chamfering, prep, and multiple passes accordingly, depending upon thickness.

Tre (our top welder, if you follow any of my builds) TIGs most of the time, but I only TIG if nobody is looking:D.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
I think of ARC more for stuff you don't / can't prep & field repairs. We run the Miller 215 on almost everything, with chamfering, prep, and multiple passes accordingly, depending upon thickness.

Tre (our top welder, if you follow any of my builds) TIGs most of the time, but I only TIG if nobody is looking:D.
.... yea, well, some of us are poor and don't have TIG's or HUGE MIG's. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,787 Posts

Hey, tell Tre I will give him $2 more an hour if he decides to come work in paradise.:laughing: Tell him we only use snow chains for beating vagrants here!:p

200 plus mig, or arc.:)

run it,
Easy.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
stick here, and if you're just startign get an old 220 stick welder and start with that cause then mig is a lot easier.

Arc will do way more for a lot cheaper, and if the welds aren't looking good, keep practicing (plus its harder to cheat when using stick too lol)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Hey, tell Tre I will give him $2 more an hour if he decides to come work in paradise.:laughing: Tell him we only use snow chains for beating vagrants here!:p

200 plus mig, or arc.:)

run it,
Easy.
I ain't telling him SHIT, Rick! He bitches all winter long, starting about...now. He hates the cold & I hate the heat...:shaking:

Plus, without him, I'm just another podunk with big ideas and mediocre fab skills...:grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I ain't telling him SHIT, Rick! He bitches all winter long, starting about...now. He hates the cold & I hate the heat...:shaking:

Plus, without him, I'm just another podunk with big ideas and mediocre fab skills...:grinpimp:
Fine I won't try and recruit him!:shaking:

So whats the number for your shop anyway?:laughing:

J/K:)
Rick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you!

Thank you so much for the replies.

As you can see I am a total noob when it comes welding. But I don't plan to be a newbie for long:D

I might be taking a class at a community college on how to weld.

BTW I heard that Mig is easier if you are a beginner.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
MIG may be easier but garantee you a college welding class is either going to start you on oxy fuel or stick (you try to start with e6010 rod :) lol, just kidding that sucks major starting with that rod, try starting with e7014 good beginner rod, plus will work on ac or dc, and doesn't take alot to make it look good) as it shows/teaches you puddle control and how it reacts to certain changes in the welding variables. Not thats its a bad thing but you can form some bad little habits that can lead to insufficient welds, but as you stated if you have access to a welding class someplace local and is at reasonable cost that would be the best way to start as seing how to do it properly makes a huge difference, plus welding is one of those practice makes perfect, but trying to teach it in words is not an easy feat without visual aid.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
was gonna say invest in a set of cheap leather sleeves and vest type thing, makes the sparks hurt a lot less lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts