Pirate 4x4 banner

Welding on a D 60 nuckle

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ccrane 
#1 ·
I was thinking of welding on a gusset and bolting it on to the Hi steer arm to help prevent breakage. Any thoughts?

#6 · (Edited)
Let's be clear, the method and material are 2 different things, and I'm sick of seeing people mix them up and refer to one as the other.

Cast, moulded, forged, formed, machined.....PROCESS

Steel, iron, aluminum grey iron, nodular iron, white iron, chrome moly, 300m, etc......MATERIALS.

Hmmmmm..... wonder where this info comes from?

Carrier construction: malleable iron (fine grain cast iron)

Ring and Pinion construction: 8620 heat treated

Differential housing construction: Nodular iron

Axle tubes construction: mild steel

Inner knuckles (aka tube forks, end forgings, or "Cs") - forged, premium low-carbon mild steel

Outer knuckle construction: malleable iron

#7 ·
I've heard all the "cast" stuff on the axles is cast steel. I've seen too many welded with 7018 rods. Shannon and Skinny both broke their d60 knuckles at St George both were welded and finished the comp. The gusset is a good idea. Ron C. did his last year after breaking at Cedar City hasn't had any probs. since.

#10 ·
after you're done welding, toss it in a bucket of sand so it cools slowly.

you MUST preheat- get a torch and heat it til its cherry red, then weld. wrap it in some insulation or toss it in some sand and you should be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.