Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 98 TJ that I need to do some welding on this weekend. I have arc and mig available. Do I need to take any precautions to avoid damaging electrical components? ie winch, alternator, dual optimas, stereo system, amps

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Really?? What if you battery is just dead:flipoff2: Shit I welded all my suspension brackets on today. Good thing my batter sucks:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
9V said:
you are ALWAYS supposed to disconnect the battery(s) when welding on a vehicle

Go to any bodyshop and ask them if they do.......nope....its a myth....or maybe we have just been very, very lucky.

Put the ground clamp as close to the area where you are welding....

Probly not a BAD idea to disco the battery, but i think its uneccessary

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Well I have done a ton of welding on my rig and have never disconected the battery. Maybe I should go hit up Vegas:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
i smoked a stereo in my rig when weldin on it with the battery hooked up...i have always disconnected it from then on...that was a expensive booboo

·
Registered
214 Posts
Go to any bodyshop and ask them if they do.......nope....its a myth....or maybe we have just been very, very lucky.
What shop do you go to??? If I smoked an electrical system welding on a vehicle at the collision shop I work at, I would get my ass chewed. Not to mention if the shop manager wandered by and saw me welding without the battery disconnected. I ALWAYS disconnect the battery, just for good measure. Can you weld with it still hooked up, yes, I know many who do, but why take the risk for 30 seconds worth of work???

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
chaz88k5 said:
i smoked a stereo in my rig when weldin on it with the battery hooked up...i have always disconnected it from then on...that was a expensive booboo
No worries. I got that one covered. No stereo to fry.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hell, you are suposed to use a staic discharge braklet when working on the cars ECM to avoid fryin' it with a static spark.
So YES you should allways disconnect the batt. Neg when welding.

As I tell my students...
You can weld on 100 cars and be fine then fry the elec. on 101.
101 WILL be a Benz or similar $$$$$$ car. (murphy don't ya know)
It's unlikely that you will fry the car, but, it is also unlikely that you will win the lottery and people buy tickets every day:D

But, if it is your car...... Weld away if you want.

Parts stores have a surge protecter that you can buy for about $40 that you can clamp to the batt instead of disconnecting it.

Cory

1 - 9 of 9 Posts