Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
unclegreaser said:
i need to weld a repair on my d60 knuckle and need info on which wire, to pre-heat, and other tricks to make it stong?

i have a 220 lincoln mig welder.

also is the knuckle on the d30 the same material.

thanks
Repairing cast steel using a mig welder is difficult for professionals to do safely. Based on your above comments I'm guessing there is no dana 60 knuckle, but rather a dana 30 you are trying to fix. Post a pict of the damage, and you will receive better information on how to repair the damage. If it is just a dana 30 knuckle you damaged, it would be easier to just replace it with a junkyard one. They are plentiful, and cheap.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If he sheared the arm completely off, I would not be comfortable welding it back on. There is a considerable amount of force put on those arms by the steering system. I would either take this opportunity to go hi steer or purchase a replacement knuckle from Crane, Dedenbear, or welderboy. Some people have been successful repairing cracks in knuckles using the proper pre and post heat with the proper rod using a stick welder. If you are dead set on doing this, I'd pm welderboy on this site, and ask how to do this.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
jeepboyben said:
If you are dead set on doing this, I'd pm welderboy on this site, and ask how to do this.
Even WB has tried to weld together broken D60 knuckles on the trail and they were broken again with in ten feet. It just does not work out. I really would not do it for a safety related item like a steering arm mount.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
60 knuckle welding

I just got my rig out with a trail welded 60 knuckle last month.
I had broken the TRE hole in the LH knuckle and we did one
repair to try to get my rig out but it didn't hold. Went back the
next weekend and I had made a piece to weld on to the knuckle
as well as bringing a spare knuckle in case the weld repair didn't
hold up. Bgreen used his Ready Welder to weld the piece, that I
brought in with us, to the knuckle. I wouldn't want to try to use
this as a permanent repair but to get us out of the woods without having to change a knuckle in -15 F. temps it worked .
a pic of the repair is on the 4th page of this thread.

Weld Repair

Gus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts