Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So now I need to figure out the slickest way to have 2 batteries in the jeep, both being charged by the alternator, and both being easilly disconnected from the rest of the jeep and staying at 24v in the event that I'm welding.

Ideas? Thoughts? Anything?

I have a feeling I owe quite a few folks a beer or 12 for the advice I'm getting here :)

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
So now I need to figure out the slickest way to have 2 batteries in the jeep, both being charged by the alternator, and both being easilly disconnected from the rest of the jeep and staying at 24v in the event that I'm welding.

Ideas? Thoughts? Anything?

I have a feeling I owe quite a few folks a beer or 12 for the advice I'm getting here :)
Use 2 group 51 batteries in about the same space as one group 34. That would give you 24V without a lot of weight penalty. I would just keep it simple and run them in parallel most of the time in the vehicle. Then have a jumper for when you need the welder. Don't over complicate things and sacrifice a ton of weight to make this work. Flat fenders get small quick....

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have the Mil-Spec Ready Welder in the Pelican case. I bought it brand new on Craigslist (from a guy it turned out I knew even!) for $500. This is an AWESOME tool! It came with feet and feet of cable and it comes with a NATO slave plug that screws right onto the existing 24v slave of M series vehicles.

I converted my A1 to 12v, but having the option to just attach it so easily that way makes it tempting to go back to 24v!

The PremierPower welder is the setup I would really like to have, but once I was able to do what I need to with the Ready Welder it didn't make sense to drop that much more $. You would be happy with either of these options and I think Meiser's suggestion the easiest way to package 2 batteries.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Use 2 group 51 batteries in about the same space as one group 34. That would give you 24V without a lot of weight penalty. I would just keep it simple and run them in parallel most of the time in the vehicle. Then have a jumper for when you need the welder. Don't over complicate things and sacrifice a ton of weight to make this work. Flat fenders get small quick....
I agree with keeping it simple. I had a 24V winch years ago that was set up with 2 batteries, 4 solenoids and 2 switches so I could charge both batteries, start on 12V, and run the winch 24V on the flip of a switch. But it's a bunch of wiring and equipment that sits unused for periods of time, and it could be replaced with a well placed jumper.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
From another trip.

I used Tim's ReadyWelder to brace my dad's stock JK control arms. You can weld very easily with it - it just takes a little practice.
I was on that trip! It worked pretty good! But yeah a second battery would be nice as one of those batteries was mine. Just inconvenient.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Solar and Marquette branded a really GREAT backpack mig welder. It contained an easily replaceable 24 volt battery in the bottom. It could lay down about 60" of weld before a 110 volt recharge was necessary. Clubs here would carry one in the group. I think I still have a couple, but I got used to arc welding with 3/32 "Missile weld" rod which I could carry in a plastic tube... and three jumper cables. It will stick springs together! Now I have added auto darkening goggles. Unbeatable...Except for a Premier Power which can weld better than a home unit. (hi Frequency) Pat, who invented it would have not made it any other way.

One "backpack" is Marquette M12191. Cordless Wire Feed welder 18ga to 1/4"

We put the mig welders in small backpacks. Weight might be 25lbs. Miller or Lincoln (The same parent also) bought them out and buried the product quickly. We tried a hard case Miller on loan. You could only do about 24" before unusable. We are not sure how they messed up the tech but definitely not in the same league. And much bigger and heavy. The Solars could be bought for $100-150 or so when Ebay started........ Marketing!!!!!!!

I bet you could use that same battery for any 24 volt system. It was about 3 x 8 x5" tall. 24 volt. Maybe $30. I think it looked more dry cell than wet cell. But i haven't used mine in 15 years. Charge it once in awhile for drama.

One way to keep your group together would be to put the battery in the front rig and a ready welder in the back one. :evil:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
We use the Karnage Welder- no batteries to haul around and wire feed- in one suitcase-type case. We use it out on the trail and around our ranch home for a year or so and never had an issue. It can be taken anywhere. They have a facebook page and a website. Karnagewelder.com . Trail Hero has a video out on them and they will be at Trail Hero doing recovery with it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts