Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was just reading thru the "how to build an onboard welder" article again and a thought occured to me.

Now, its common knowledge to disconnect your battery when welding on a rig right? so what do you do when you have to weld on the rig that has the welder????

getting ready to build one and i was just wondering.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I have been told that if you must do such, make sure you can get the ground clamp as close to the work area as possible.

Me, I get twitchy just thinking about welding on a vehicle with electronics.

Peace,
Paul

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PTSchram said:

Me, I get twitchy just thinking about welding on a vehicle with electronics.

Peace,
Paul
Thats what im saying. I hardly ever disco'd the batt with my old carbed motor, but now with the new EFI swap i make damn sure that that battery is disco'd. I DON'T wanna fry the ECM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is a very interesting question. Man you guys are Fawkin smart I wouldn't have ever thought of that. :goofball:

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Supposedly making the circuit as short as possible reduces the chance of inducing a high enough voltage to do any damage as it isgorunded pretty quickly.

I learned this a kind of hard way, I grabbed ahold of a vehicle I was welding on between the electrode and the ground clamp and got one hell of a shock! Been twitchy ever since :flipoff2: Moved the ground clamp closer and all was good.

Paul

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
OK....I was curious about this so I went to Premiers website and found this...
.What should I know when welding on a vehicle?
When welding on your OWN vehicle, use only REVERSE POLARITY. Positive to electrode holder; Negative to work/ground. Never weld on your own vehicle with your Premier Power Welder in straight polarity. Also do not weld with Ready Welder or any other unit using straight polarity wire, on your own vehicle.

SOME INTERESTING FACTS:
-Less spark is due to high-frequency; do not turn it up.
-A puddle normally oscillates about 60 times per second; with high-frequency, it oscillates about 7000 times per second!
-High-frequency welding agitates the puddle 10 times more than amperage welding, thus bringing all the impurities to the surface.
-The Premier allows both welding & charging using #4 cable leads up to 500' lengths with minimal loss of heat.
-Again, set voltage PRIOR to welding. Voltage will fluctuate while welding, and the reading will not be true voltage.
-The Premier can use up to 1/8" electrodes at 100% duty cycle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts