Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running the all-pro crossover steering setup with their steering stabilizer also. My problem is that under full compression the u-bolts that mount the stabilizer to the drag link hit the tie rod. My axle is foreward a few inches and I really don't want to have to remount my steering box. So I was thinking of making a new stabilizer mount off the axle housing and onto the tie rod by welding a mount onto the tie rod and the housing. This would give the extra 3/8" clearance between the two that I would need so they won't hit anymore. Can I safely weld on the tie rod with out fawking it up? I don't want to have to retemper it or something like that. I'm basically looking for a easy way to do this while still being safe. If it can't safely be done I'll just go back to the drawing board. TIA

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Yes it can be done. If you get the rod too hot it will warp. If you just weld a little bit at a time. it wont be a problem. Here is a pic of a steering stablizer tab wlded directly to a drag link. Note the tiny gusset to keep it from bending.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
my hydro assist is welded directly to my all pro tierod, no probs with the couple of short passes to mount the tabs...then again, everything on my truck is warped, bent or adjusted back to stock with a BFhammer:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Here's how I mounted mine.

Works great, stays out of rocks, clears oil pan. I cut the factory bracket off the axle and welded it to the diff cover. The other end of the stabilizer is attached to the tie rod courtesy of an old stabilzer bracket from a rancho kit.

Note: The closer to parallel you get your stabilizer to the linkage line the less it tends to try and twist your tie rod as you steer.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Go for it, my hydro assist tabs are welded right to my AP tie rod. Been running it 6 months with no problems. Trail proven IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts