Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by a friend of mine (my trusted welding friend) that it would be bad to weld a tab onto my tie rod like so for a drag link to mount to. Kinda like this:

I am asking all you welders out there....is it bad/dangerous to weld a tab onto the tie rod since it weakens the metal? I am calling this to question since it sounds crazy to me since we weld everythign else....so is it bad to weld onto the tie rod?
Also, what do you steerign experts think of this set up? I would ream that tab out to a taper for a TRE rather than a heim since I live in MN and drive it daily in the salt. Thanks for your help.
josh

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Well, in order for you to do an alignment, you need the tie rod to be free and clear. Oh well. Forget alignments....run it...

But seriously, not a good idea. If you look at Part's Mike tie rods and drag links, his drag link goes through the center of the tie rod, and then has the adjuster just off to the side of it so you can adjust the alignment. Yours drawn up like you did, will not be able to adjust...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have to disagree with the above "it's a bad idea"
As I read what you are doing it's using TRE's so it will be adjustable the question I see is if it's a good idea to weld the attach point to the tie rod? I don't see a problem if you have reasonable material (thick enough tube or solid) and are proficient at welding.
I will say that if you make it like the picture the first response would be correct but as I see the question you are not doing that setup but showing a part of it.
If you can on your setup I would say go with the TRE that has the hole like was mentioned but if you can not fit it then do what you mentioned.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes the tierod would be adjustable, but only kinda. You would have to pull the TRE from knuckle and you would HAVE to go a full 360* to reinstall the TRE into the knuckle. You might get lucky but you might not and not be able to properly align the truck. For that reason alone i wouldnt do it. Just put Chevy TRE's on it, ream the stabilizer hole to accept another TRE, build some DOM steering links, and you will end up with a good steering setup:D
As for the welding, I wouldnt worry about it if you are a skilled welder:)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
DOH
I agree now that I have pulled my head out! Bad idea, I was thinking you were talking about getting the drag link centered. I have made quiet a few GM steering setups (same as parts mike) and they are great.
I am sure I have seen what you are asking about but not for the DD as was mentioned by others.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Ya know, there was a thread on here once about doing exactly this, and IIRC, it was popular and noone mentioned the safety aspects. Someone, Avalanche, I think even sells the tabs.

Edit:
Now Poison Spyder:

Hmmm

Bryan

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

Been running it since 96, roughly 70K miles. Using two tabs on the tie rod so that the drag link rod end is in double shear. I know its not the normal set up but no one was making high steer back then and I had to come up with something.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
I have have welded on many tierods,driveshafts,frames,cages,other peoples old ladys...oh that one is nailed not welded..As long as you trust your welding it will be ok.You should still be able to adjust the tierod at the end that hooks to the steering arm if not just do it right and centered the first time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dittohead said:
Yes the tierod would be adjustable, but only kinda. You would have to pull the TRE from knuckle and you would HAVE to go a full 360* to reinstall the TRE into the knuckle. You might get lucky but you might not and not be able to properly align the truck. For that reason alone i wouldnt do it. Just put Chevy TRE's on it, ream the stabilizer hole to accept another TRE, build some DOM steering links, and you will end up with a good steering setup:D
As for the welding, I wouldnt worry about it if you are a skilled welder:)
I think I am planning going with this set up instead just because I trust the Chev TREs more than I do a tab. It will more than likely look like this:

However, I think I am going to include a 12degree bend like hte first pic to avoid pitman binding. Thanks for the help on the tabs though. You never know, I could my mind by mid-morning tomorrow.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts