Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Who knows. My grandfather died of Parkinsons. He was a farmer, then later a trucker (hauled dynamite for dupont) then worked for the corps of engineers as a millwright then diesel mechanic. Kinda hard to track down a root cause. Other than well... genetics (which kinda sucks for me)

·
Registered
60,130 Posts
Since it is a chemical causing it (not EMI, etc.) would that be something you would be most affected by with stick vs. the MIG?

Kinda sounds like a "plus 1" score for the ol' wire feed. :D

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Not if your using 70S-6 mig wire. It has1.5% - 2.0% Mn content for you.

Welding is hazardous. bottom line.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The only two people I know with parkinsons I'm pretty sure never picked up a welder.

Probly not many old retired welders cause it's a crappy job to have to do when you're old (hot, odd positions, need steady hand etc)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I wonder if Michael J Fox was a welder in his spare time???

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
LOL

Now that I think, both the men I know that have it were in education........maybe it's from chalk dust.

The bottom line is, people get diseases. I for one am not going to let that stop me from doing the things I want to do, especially welding.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm 53 years old and my old man had me welding since I was 10... You're right it is a crappy job for an old fart, and there are a lot of strange positions you have to weld in. You also have to put up with the constant burns and lousy smells. But I sure love making things and my hands are steady as a rock. I weld with stick, MIG and TIG... Once and a while I even throw in a little gas weld if an exhaust needs done and there's not a MIG around... Any way what I am trying to sat is no signs of that disease yet. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and my hearing has taken a dump, and my knees don't bend for shit... But other than that all is well. If you enjoy it, do it!!! You can get killed in your living room by some punk on a drive by with a stray bullet!

·
Registered
323 Posts
For ya'll who are still young, start taking precautions, respirators, safety glasses, whatever PPE you need. It will pay off when you are older and still want to do this stuff.

For the older folk, no point in not starting now, can't hurt to try and prevent anything from getting worse.

Then again, this is coming from a person who already expects to be partialy deaf by the time I retire from all the time in the engine room:flipoff2:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
i had a girlfriend with parkinsons once, damn could she give a good handjob!:D
paul- how about her phone number!- if i had a choice i'd chose t.i.g welding - user friendly health wise a better way to weld as far as smoke, fumes, etc............

·
Registered
402 Posts
lucky said:
My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and my hearing has taken a dump, and my knees don't bend for shit...
I just find it ironic that you go by the name "lucky" :D

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
oh well I'm on a self destructive path anyways :D too much school, too much work, dangerous sports, lots of sex w/ random girls, and a lot of drinking :D

hmmmmmm I'm a college kid who welds ;) the cards are already stacked against me....just tack one more up on the board :D

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
When I decided on my profession, I kinda figured on a slow painful death from something horrible. I'm always into chemicals and vapors of some sort or another. Tonight it was a Peterbilt full of black widows. I caught several of them running across arms and legs. They don't like brake clean too much (one more chemical).

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I've had my ticket for 10 years, and I have been lucky because I have worked 100% heavy industrial jobs. The first thing I do on a new job is go get fit-tested for a respirator and make a point of wearing it when welding/cutting/grinding. The companies’ position is that it is your choice when working on carbon and mandatory on galvanized/exotic metals but they encourage the use of one at all times. Even grinding dust/silica from the discs can be dangerous if you are overexposed, and how many people on here have experienced "black nose" after grinding? And yes I wear one at home when doing the same things. Everbody can afford big $$$ for a welder and auto-dark hood but they won't spend $30 on a respirator:rolleyes:

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
jasonmt said:
I've had my ticket for 10 years, and I have been lucky because I have worked 100% heavy industrial jobs. The first thing I do on a new job is go get fit-tested for a respirator and make a point of wearing it when welding/cutting/grinding. The companies’ position is that it is your choice when working on carbon and mandatory on galvanized/exotic metals but they encourage the use of one at all times. Even grinding dust/silica from the discs can be dangerous if you are overexposed, and how many people on here have experienced "black nose" after grinding? And yes I wear one at home when doing the same things. Everbody can afford big $$$ for a welder and auto-dark hood but they won't spend $30 on a respirator:rolleyes:
I never used to, until I discovered that if I spent a long time welding/grinding/cutting within the next couple days I'd get a sinus infection. Sawdust is a simular hazard

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
jasonmt said:
Here is the test for everyone that thinks saftey is for professional. After just some basic around the garage welding/grinding/cutting, Blow your nose or hack up a big spit .... Odds are it will be full of black crap. And there is plenty more of that covering your lungs and attached nicely to you mucus membranes that line your nose and throat. And the stuff isn't good for you at all. That's why the pro's wear saftey crap.
Even a cheap azz dust mask is better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
yeah, that black stuff is really bad fer you. A dust paper dust mask removes 90% of it from your respratory system. Use one!

FWIW: My grandfather and uncle have Parkinsons. Both were educators. Second vote for chalk dust.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts