Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After four years of stick welding, I finally got a Hobart 175 MIG. It came with .030" flux core wire. I used the spool up and it worked great. I went to Walmart and bought another spool, but all they had was .035". That wire worked great too, but I finally got my bottle filled (75/25 mix) so I could use solid core wire. Since I had extra .035" tips, I bought .035" solid core wire. Well now my welds suck. They look like I am not getting enough penetration, no matter how the welder is adjusted. I couldn't figure it out, so I tried it again with the flux wire, worked fine. Is the solid wire too big? Should I go with .030" solid core?

·
Registered
113 Posts
check the polarity on the welder. flux core uses reverse polarity and mig uses straight polarity. for mig the gun should be hooked to the + lug.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know? The welds are like 1/8" to 3/16" tall no matter what I set it at. Why was it better with the .035" flux core? I assume .035" flux core is not equal to .035" solid core.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
87toyred said:
check the polarity on the welder. flux core uses reverse polarity and mig uses straight polarity. for mig the gun should be hooked to the + lug.
Holy shit! I forgot. Thanks, I am kind of guessing that is it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts