Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there doesn't seem to be any information here about welding gears in a 2.5ton rockwell axle, so I am assuming it is pretty self explanatory, however, that being said, I have not looked inside the differential yet, so any advice you guys have would be awesome.

Also, can the carrier be removed, so that the gears do not have to be welded in the differential?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
no problem at all.
the vertical gear in which the carrier is located, can be pulled out of
the axle, and then be welded. it is very HEAVY, though.
however detroit lockers(No-Spin) are available, and this is a
much better option.
i did both - installed No-Spins in both axles, and had two more diffs
ready as spares, and welded them using MIG.
since i do'nt use my rockwells anymore, i could let you have two
No-Spins for cheap.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Terranaut said:
Hey Frog wouldn't shipping from Israel be big $$$?
Hi terranaut, how are you ?
the answer to your question is no.
the diff is huge but the locker is very small.
i think it's very much the same as the size
of a lockright for D-60, or even less.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yea, the locker for a rockwell is about the size of a medium pinapple. Much smaller than I expected.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

These are CJ Lagos pics. This is the best way to do it. Set all the spiders in one of the side gears and tack them to the cross pin or whatever its called. Then weld it all up and then weld it to both the side gears.

DON'T JUST WELD THE HOLES IN THE CARRIER...ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
looks like a 14 bolt, in above pic if its just like a 14 its easy ass hell. just make sure to put enough weld so the gears are tight enough they cant ever spin if the weld wears down

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
The best way to do this is to separate the carrier in half, set the side gear in the carrier, set the cross and spider gears in the carrier and tack weld the spiders to the cross. Then take it out and set the side gear on top of the spiders and tack the side gear to the spiders, then make sure it fits back in. I completely welded one side gear to the spiders then begun welding the second side gear. Make sure you have all your washers are in place so they can go back in when you're done. Take your time and fill it all with weld and you'll end up with a spool.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Awesome! thanks a bunch you guys! Thank you for the offer frog, but I think I will try welding them first.

When pulling the carrier, is there anything that needs to be adjusted/torqued on the reinstall? What I mean is, is there anything like backlash [I know backlash isn't a concern, but I am using that for a reference] that I need to worry about, or can I just pull the carrier and then reinstall? Thanks.

Hey frog, so if you don't use your rocks anywhere, does that mean that the pepped up big block is just sitting there too :eek: . Surly you must feel the urge to drive something with a little more power than the ol' riceburner :)

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I've never torqued any of the the bolts in the diff, I always use my impact and lock-wire. As far as setting the lash...I center the diff and adjust from there. There are two threaded spanners on either side that can move the carrier side to side. I've found the best way is to leave the bearing caps finger tight so that you can get the spanners threaded(careful - easy to thread crooked). I've only used a dial indicator once to set the lash, all mine I do by hand until it feels tight(I would run a bit tighter than normal because of the extra play in the double reduction).

A detroit in the rear will hurt the pinion brakes. Weld it up and they'll work much better.

CJ

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
CJ Lagos said:
A detroit in the rear will hurt the pinion brakes. Weld it up and they'll work much better.

CJ
The slop in the pinion brakes is worth the push steering you will have with the welded carriers.

IMO
FACT. in front or rear in a steer axle.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Dan Dibble said:
The slop in the pinion brakes is worth the push steering you will have with the welded carriers.

IMO
FACT. in front or rear in a steer axle.

Dan
Yeah....and how would you know? I've done both, have you? :flipoff2:

I'm telling you man, you need to give this a try - I've been there done that. Do you need me to send you a set of spiders?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
bigjeepguy said:
Hey frog, so if you don't use your rocks anywhere, does that mean that the pepped up big block is just sitting there too :eek: . Surly you must feel the urge to drive something with a little more power than the ol' riceburner :)
well you're right about everything you've said :)
that 550 hp BB bastard is sitting there quietly,
letting me know all the time how angry it is :D

anyway, and since you've asked, the frog mark 2 is
on it's way. build up will start this weekend, and let
me tell you, it is going to be one awsome unbelievable rig.
i'm going for a unique never before done, with the 550hp
BB as a central engine/400/Klune-v/205, HP D-60s, and a
total weight of 3600lb max. actually, that BB is also shcedualed
to get some additional 50-100hp, so the weight to hp ratio
is going to be better than the one of a sports car.
i'm about to start a new buildup thread, and i'll try to let
you guys go with me along the whole process, with pics.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Frog, I pm'd you about the rockwell detroits.

Dane

·
Registered
681 Posts
convertiyota said:

These are CJ Lagos pics. This is the best way to do it. Set all the spiders in one of the side gears and tack them to the cross pin or whatever its called. Then weld it all up and then weld it to both the side gears.

DON'T JUST WELD THE HOLES IN THE CARRIER...ask me how I know.

Why not just weld the holes??

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
792.5cj5 said:
Why not just weld the holes??
There are 3 guys here local that welded through the holes and filled it up.Theres has lasted 4 year's and riding stil.I was still going to take mine apart anyway.I will also put a detriot in the front because they told me life would be hell if I welded the front up..lol..

·
Registered
681 Posts
When I got mine, the rear was welded at the holes, but the front was open. I just welded the holes and filled them up, burned them in real good. I didn't know any better at the time. I sure as hell am not pulling the axles back apart just becuase some peoples welds dont hold. Its not a comp buggy, so we will see how long it holds.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
i welded the carrier and thry the holes, i just figured the little extra time to tear it apart and resetting the gear makes it worth while, jason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts