Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am installing a ram-assist steering system on an Early Bronco.

I will be welding brackets for the ram-assist to the track bar riser bracket. The brackets are cut from 1/4" plate.

I originally thought that welding the brackets (really just large tabs) on both sides of each bracket would be required. Because of tighter spacing between the brackets, it might not be possible to weld the joints from between the brackets. After a little searching, I found references to only welding tabs/brackets on one side to prevent weakening the metal/joint.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Make them a 30/60/90 triangle with the hole on the high end. Stick a plate between them on the long side if you want. A friend has hydro assist in his CJ done like I described and has never had a problem. If you are super paranoid, make the brackets with bends so you can weld the inside too.

·
Flying Aardvark
434 Posts
You should be able to weld both sides of at least one bracket. The other bracket you should be able to weld partway inside.

We did this on a D60, pre-heated the housing until cherry. Then I MIG'd the brackets on, peened it with a hammer, and then wrapped with a blanket. Never had any issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts