Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to weld on some shackle mounts to my rear bumper on my TJ but was wondering if its to close to the gas tank to weld it? the bumper is welded to the frame so it would be easier to take the tank out than take the bumper off. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
i am going to weld on some shackle mounts to my rear bumper on my TJ but was wondering if its to close to the gas tank to weld it? the bumper is welded to the frame so it would be easier to take the tank out than take the bumper off. what do you guys think?
The TJ gas tank is plastic. My exhaust pipe melted a hole in mine. Fumes would also be a concern. I would remove the bumper.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The TJ gas tank is plastic. My exhaust pipe melted a hole in mine. Fumes would also be a concern. I would remove the bumper.
ive got a heavy duty skid on my tank. the bumper is welded to the frame. so do you think the fumes would be that strong that i would have to remove the tank to weld it?

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
ive got a heavy duty skid on my tank. the bumper is welded to the frame. so do you think the fumes would be that strong that i would have to remove the tank to weld it?
My gas tank was in a Kilby skid when my exhaust burned hole in my gas tank. I am by no means a person that knows what he is doing when it comes to welding........ I get the job done and it ain't purdy.

I have always understood a full tank of gas is better than a part of a tank. I personally would want to error on the side of safety so I would remove the bumper from the vehicle. Having family & friends finding my body parts all over the yard is not my idea of fun :shaking:

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I've had flames near gas tanks, and imho if I can't smell fumes I'm not worried.

Once you pull the tank you are going to have fumes in the area.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well if i dropped the tank then i would have open hoses with fumes comming out of them. would that only take a few mins. for the fumes to clear out? or probably tying a bag around the hoses wouldnt be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
well if i dropped the tank then i would have open hoses with fumes comming out of them. would that only take a few mins. for the fumes to clear out? or probably tying a bag around the hoses wouldnt be a bad idea either.
I would remove the gas tank from building,, then air building out with help of a fan. I am not sure that all this is required, but better to be safe than sorry. :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your welding on the back of your bumper... or the rear face of the bumper. You should be fine. Like others have stated, if you can not smell it, then it is not a concern. The heat transfer will not be enough from the bumper, frame, skid plate, etc to cause any issues.

Common misconception is that sparks will automaticly light vapor or fumes. Not so. More often than not, the spark itself will not ignite the fumes.

But, if spark does cause one little flame such as the plastic of a tank, bushes or pine needles, rags, old papers? Ya, you can be a statistic and hopefully your buddy videos the process and posts on You tube.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think im going to take the lazy mans aproach here and just leave the tank in, but as far as video taping it, i dont think i would want every one to see the jeep catching fire. they would probably say man what an idiot, how hard is it really to just take out the tank. lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
It is best to have a full tank of gas, and place a barrier between your project and tank. Sheet metal would be best, but any non flamable object would br better than nothing. if you real close take your time and don't heat your bumper too much so a big weld isn't melting your tank while it cools.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, just for free... to those who melt plastic tanks with exhaust pipes: get some vent tube for (or from) the clothes dryer and some self tapping screws. Cut the sheet metal with scissors and fit to jeep at about an inch or so from the tank. Attach with screws to the skidder, or whatever. Voila!

I run exhaust on the passenger side of my YJ and had to do this. It works great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts