Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my problem: The tube on my Dodge 60 is too short to weld 2 link tabs on.
So I welded one tab to the tube and the other to the center section.
I have searched and found out that the 60 Diff is actually nodular iron and can be welded with MIG. That's what I did along with the pre heating and post heating technique as discribed in other threads. I also tried to reinforce the tab as much as I could.

Has anybody also welded their link mounts to the center section and how does it hold up?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Heres my problem: The tube on my Dodge 60 is too short to weld 2 link tabs on.
So I welded one tab to the tube and the other to the center section.
I have searched and found out that the 60 Diff is actually nodular iron and can be welded with MIG. That's what I did along with the pre heating and post heating technique as discribed in other threads. I also tried to reinforce the tab as much as I could.

Has anybody also welded their link mounts to the center section and how does it hold up?
got some pics?

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
I had to do something similar on my dodge 60. I ended up using a piece of box tube for the link mount and notching it out to fit around the center section, then welded it all the way around using Ni-55 rod and regular MIG where it was on the tube. That way the side on the center section was still supported by something else besides the weld.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Mark me down for some welding to cast on my Ford 60. Beat the piss out of it early and often at Hot Springs. Oh and its Mig-ed

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i know a couple of friends that have welded there passenger side lower link mounts to the cast of the housing on there chevy/ dodge 60's. they havnt had any problems so far, WHICH im suprised.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Clean surface by grinding the crap out of it.

Pre-heat to 400 F and let it rip with the mig, allow slow cool down.

For best results pre-heat to 400 F, TIG using 312 or SMW filler rod, multiple passes (root pass a must), be generous with the filler rod.

Good luck!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts