Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm kinda trying to repair my winshield frame right now by trying to weld some metal I cut out from a sheet. Its 16 gauge and I'm using a stick welder and 6013 electrodes. but the metal just doesn't seem to want to bond very well. Should I using something thinner like 18 gauge??

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Doc Holiday13 said:
Right now I'm kinda trying to repair my winshield frame right now by trying to weld some metal I cut out from a sheet. Its 16 gauge and I'm using a stick welder and 6013 electrodes. but the metal just doesn't seem to want to bond very well. Should I using something thinner like 18 gauge??
Have you:

• Checked your ground?

• Made sure all the materials are at least mild steel?

• Prepped your surfaces well?

• Set the amperage at the proper power?

Also, IMO, stick welding is not the best method to weld thinner panels, especially when performing body work. If you can, see if you can borrow a Mig or even an O/A welding rig to weld or braze the thin stuff.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You have to be a really experienced stick welder to weld sheet metal with 6013, but it can be done. It is tricky because there is a fine line between fusion and burn through. Sounds like your are running too cold because of the burn through problems. There are better rods for sheet metal, like 6011 or 7014. Running DCEN helps with burn through if you have DC.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree I used 6011 on a truck bed a while back while doing a bob, and the key to doing it with a stick welder is #1, you gotta be pretty good anyways, and #2 turn that heat up and move faster. It will feel totally wrong at first, but I promise if you turn it up and move faster you'll get better results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts