Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever do it?

No time to pull it apart and install the spider gears that i dont have.

Buddy of mine says that its some sort of unobtanium material that you cant weld?

I say hes full of shite.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Ran a lockright in a D35 (I know, I know - flame away) with 35" tires and after about 35K miles the lockright stripped all the teeth off.

Being the cheap bastard I am, I welded it in the carrier, as it was. As much heat as I could get out of the little Linclon I have. Welded toghether without too much problem, I dno't know if the material is unobtanium but I think it is cast so you should probably treat it like a housing. I didn't. Welded it up, used fluxcore, so cleaned all the boogers, installed carrier, cover, oil, done.

Not really, broke the crappy welds apart a couple months and some hard wheeling later, so 2nd time around I welded the lockright halves together AND to the carrier. I knew I was going to be replacing the axle in the future, and obviously this is not a good idea if you have c-clip axles.

Wheeled it another 35 - 40K miles (still D35 w/35" tires) broke two shafts and it was still working great when I replaced the D35 with a D60.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Don't know what kind of steel exactly but I know they're induction hardened and should weld just fine. Contemplated making a mini-spool out of one I blew up, then just put the spiders back in, threw it away and sold the Jeep. :flipoff2: Weld that turd.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
hmmm good to know, I have one that broke all the pins and stuff in a toy, didn't wanna pull the ring gear off to pull it out and i wanted a spool anyways.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a scout dana 44.

I'm supposed to be going wheelin this weekend thats why the time problems. THanks glo. I'll keep em in mind.

My plan was to just weld the 4, 1/4's together best i could without removing it from the case.
So nickel rod you think? or will a tig gas/solid core do the trick?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I don't think nickel is necessary. If they're cast, they're cast steel not iron. Mine had enough machine work on it that it appeared to me to have been machined from stock. Welding it to the carrier would help take the load off the crosspin, but make it more like a full spool. If it were mine, I'd hose it out with brake cleaner and then fill it up with 7018.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
the only lock-rite i've ever seen looked like it was made from powdered metal.

seems like i read the same thing about the Aussie locker somewhere around here too...

might want to research welding powdered metal before actually welding powdered metal.

matt

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I had a Pop Right in my 12 bolt a few years ago - I sheared all the pins at Disney and drove it home 6.5 hours this way. Well, I finally junked the whole 12 bolt thing and went 1 ton, but gave the locker to a friend of mine. He bought new pins and I welded up the pin bosses where they were cracked out. It seems to be working fine for now!

Try it - the least it can do is chew up your whole rearend if it fails.:flipoff2:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
IMHO, your best bet is to make your own "shim" to fit between the center halves and permanently force the inner cams out against the side gear cams to make a "spool".

Consider either a flat shim (hard part getting it to stay in there), or a tube kind of insert that slides over the stock center pin and doesn't let the side gears move inward at all.

No welding involved, and easily "reversible" and remobavle if needed.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DRM said:
IMHO, your best bet is to make your own "shim" to fit between the center halves and permanently force the inner cams out against the side gear cams to make a "spool".

Consider either a flat shim (hard part getting it to stay in there), or a tube kind of insert that slides over the stock center pin and doesn't let the side gears move inward at all.

No welding involved, and easily "reversible" and remobavle if needed.
we've already shimmed it as much as possible and still have it removeable in the stock fashion.

I will force something inbetween the 2 plates before i wled it just to take up the gap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts