Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My club has been talking about geting a Ready Welder to use on club runs. Concerns were brought up about the use of Optima Batteris with the welder. Some were saying that it was not a good idea to weld wtih Optimas because doing so can severly shorten the life of or permiantly dammage the battery, where as a regular lead/acid battery which will recover just fine. I did a quick search and didnt come up any specifcs.

So is there any truth to this? Or is it just an excuse to not have to remove your battery from your rig. :D

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I have used my optimas for stick welding, they still are kicking just fine.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Before I got my Lincoln, all I had as a "shop" welder was my Ready Welder and 2 Blue Tops. I ran that setup for about a year. I put one of the Blue Tops in my Jeep and has been in there for about 3 years. I traded the other one for some work and that guy has run it in several different rigs.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I've used a blue and red top as a dual set-up in my crawler for 4 years, I've used the same batteries for my ready welder countless times and they are still crank'n like new.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Using two red tops with my ready welder. Never had a problem. I dont think it drains them as fast as you guys are thinking. Look up the stats on the ready welder. I think you can weld with 12v batteries for a long ass time before they die.

You dont want to drain a red top but I think the RW is far from doing that on trail repairs.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just buy them from COSTCO, lifetime warentee, if anything happens WHATEVER WHENEVER, just get it replaced, no questions asked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts