Pirate 4x4 banner

Well.. I am finally a Toyota owner!!!!!!!

1K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ghetto 
#1 ·
Back a few montsh ago I posted about possibly getting a 91 Yota p/u. Well after waiting a few months for my friend to deliver, it is finally sittin in my driveway!

Its a 91 22re, 5spd, non-SR5... After hearing it run, it definately has a timing chain problem. So I am hoping thats the cause of the water in the oil.... Cant wait to get this thing on the road! :D

Here is pic #1:

#3 · (Edited)
The problem with the timing...:confused:
tell us more
we can help

if it is making a clack, clack noise when not under load, then could be a broken timing guide. I would suggest a full timing kit replacement from....

www.engnbldr.com

Ted is awesome and his prices are damn cheap!! Just call him with your symptoms and he will guide you young skywalker. ;)

edit: oh yeah! nice pickup. now get that thing SAS'ed....

#4 ·
KC_JoNeS said:
The problem with the timing...:confused:
tell us more
we can help

if it is making a clack, clack noise when not under load, then could be a broken timing guide. I would suggest a full timing kit replacement from....

www.engnbldr.com

Ted is awesome and his prices are damn cheap!! Just call him with your symptoms and he will guide you young skywalker. ;)

edit: oh yeah! nice pickup. now get that thing SAS'ed....
Yep, sounds like a diesel while its sittin there runnin... Lots of clackin! :)

Some background on it.. The guy who owned it before me drove it back and forth to work. On his way home one night it quit at a toll booth but he said the temp never went up much. So he got it started and pulled over and there was no coolant on the rad.... So he filled it up and kept an eye on the temps. He changed the radiator and then foudn water in the oil so he parked the truck.... And now its mine! ;) The engine starts quickly and seems to run decent other than the timing issue. It does need some body work and I need to double check the frame. If the frame is good, then it'll get a SAS and maybe down the road a 4.3/700r4 combo! :D Oh and I may go 35's.... COOL BEANS!!!!

So with the engnbldr.com timing stuff.... Better than the DOA parts? There is a DOA kit on the for sale forum cheap.. I may go that route.....

#5 ·
Hey, if you can afford DOA, go that route. That is what i did. Metal backed guides, new timing chain..cam gear.....and then call

www.engnbldr.com for a timing cover. That is most likely the reason for the water in the oil. And dont start it any more with the water in the oil. In fact, drain it now!! The water is very bad for the bearings on the crank. Drain it as soon as you can.

The timing chain eats through the timing cover into a water jacket when a guide brakes. That is probably what happened.

Well, you know what to do now. DO IT!!

#6 ·
KC_JoNeS said:
Well, you know what to do now. DO IT!!
Ok, lemme ask you this..... As you can tell I am new to the Toyota world but not new to wrenchin. A friend of mine has been workin on cars since probably before he coud walk and said he wouldn't do the timing chain on his own and would take it some where.. Something about small washer and stuff. But I download directions off someones website and it loks fairly decent and not too hard.... Whatcha think? I just did a timing belt, water pump and tensioners on my 2.5 V6 in my Probe GT over the summer..... And I have swapped engines, heads, intakes, etc on SBC's before........(just to give you an idea on my background)

Thanks!

#7 ·
I would not doubt your abilities. This is an easy swap that can be done on a saturday with beer.

First, just make sure that when you remove the timing chain to be at top dead center and remember exactly what position the cam is in when you take the chain off. Plus, remember what position the distributor was in to get you back at 5 degrees BTDC.

Then remove your timing cover, which can be done by 2 or 3 bolts on the oil pan, and one from underneath the cam gear. The cam gear has to come off anyway. There are several bolts that have to be removed from the face of the timing cover as well.

This would actually be a great time to replace your head gasket as well. Again, this will only take you a saturday to do the whole thing.

Post up any questions. ;)

#10 ·
If its just clacking you're sure its not loose valves? They ALWAYS do that. I always like to think the simple things first :)

Nice truck! Now just get rid of that wussy so called front end :flipoff2:

You will LOVE how easy they are to work on. And yes, get that water outta there! Its soooo bad on bearings

#11 ·
SR5Dave said:
If its just clacking you're sure its not loose valves? They ALWAYS do that. I always like to think the simple things first :)

You will LOVE how easy they are to work on. And yes, get that water outta there! Its soooo bad on bearings
Well I am hopin its the timing chain and thats why the waters getting into the oil.. :)

#12 ·
SR5Dave said:

Well, no matter what, he needs to take the timing cover off and check where his truck developed the leak into the oil. Most likely the timing chain. My truck is a 92. I got it with 115,000 miles and the driver guide was already broken.

And yes, also, re-adjust your valves.

.008 intake and .012 exhaust.

#13 ·
Having had fullsize before getting my '85 xtracab, I can only say congrats...you won't be sorry you went Toy!

Welcome to the fab world. Lots of stuff is available for these trucks, and lots more can be fabbed. Start with the FAQ's and search through the various threads. This is an incredible forum, and has lots of useful information.

Doc

Doc

#14 ·
Roc Doc said:
Having had fullsize before getting my '85 xtracab, I can only say congrats...you won't be sorry you went Toy!

Welcome to the fab world. Lots of stuff is available for these trucks, and lots more can be fabbed. Start with the FAQ's and search through the various threads. This is an incredible forum, and has lots of useful information.

Doc

Doc
Thanks! Ya, I have been surfin the Yota posts ever since I made the deal on this thing... Learned alot and am still learnin! :)

#15 ·
the timing chain is easy, its just a big PITA. seems everybolt is a different length and is designated to a specific hole. make sure you pull the oil pan or youll fawk up the headgasket where it sticks out under the front of the head, ask me how i know:flipoff2: :D

#22 ·
hell 170k aint nothin, mines got 204k. i think the hidden bolt under the timing chain sproket is 12 mm. yeah the job isnt really complicated or hard, just a pain, pretty much everything in front of the engine or attached needs to come off.to see if the coolant in the oil is from a hole in the cover, pop the valve cover(which is easy) and look down into it. on the driver side where the water pump connects to the cover, is where the chain hits the most, and where it would brobably grind through and leak. good luck
oh and make sure to pressure wash, or at least wash the engine and compartment before you start working. i forgot, and my engine is muddy as hell.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.