Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyway i bought one a months ago or so. anyway, only 6.0 offered which pissed me off. utility bed. time i got compressor, welder, torches and hand tools on the truck it was a dog, couldn't get out of its own way if it was going to run over itself. had trouble with the tires on it. had trouble with the radiator on it. and today to top it all off, going 60 down the highway the hood flys up and folds back onto the wind shield. i just left it there and drove it straight to ford (they were the last ones under the hood) and left it.
got all my stuff out of it and am going to trade it for a fully loaded 250 to plow snow with.


so im in the market for something bigger and better. be nice to find a pete with a double cab and a bigass utility bed. ive been real happy with my other 2 petes.


just thought id share my experience with my ford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,371 Posts
i think i told you so? didn't i? f450's and 550's are near their gvwr's just sitting at the dealer...don't load anything in em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
larryboy said:
i think i told you so? didn't i? f450's and 550's are near their gvwr's just sitting at the dealer...don't load anything in em.

Thats pretty strange considering mine weighed in just under 3700kg (8150#'s)when I first got it, with both tanks full and me inside. GVWR on it is 7940kg (17,500#'s) and I have it licensed for a GCWR of 20,400kg (45,000#'s) With the deck, engine drive, Ar/Oxy/Acet and a whole bunch of other stuff it is ~7350kg (16,200#'s). The GVW is 5000#'s more than a similar F-350 while only weighing ~750#'s more than the F-350.

Jim - mine is a reg. cab 7.3/6 speed and I have 36" tires on it as well. It has been mildly bombed but not much and while it is not a speed demon it pulls much better than the F-350 it replaced. What transmission did you get with it? Reg/Super/Crew cab? Did you build your own deck or buy it with the truck?, lots of the pre-made decks are PIGS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jasonmt said:
Thats pretty strange considering mine weighed in just under 3700kg (8150#'s)when I first got it, with both tanks full and me inside. GVWR on it is 7940kg (17,500#'s) and I have it licensed for a GCWR of 20,400kg (45,000#'s) With the deck, engine drive, Ar/Oxy/Acet and a whole bunch of other stuff it is ~7350kg (16,200#'s). The GVW is 5000#'s more than a similar F-350 while only weighing ~750#'s more than the F-350.

Jim - mine is a reg. cab 7.3/6 speed and I have 36" tires on it as well. It has been mildly bombed but not much and while it is not a speed demon it pulls much better than the F-350 it replaced. What transmission did you get with it? Reg/Super/Crew cab? Did you build your own deck or buy it with the truck?, lots of the pre-made decks are PIGS.

crew cab and the bed was on it or well they ordered it and put it on.

im just going to buy a big truck and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,371 Posts
jasonmt said:
Thats pretty strange considering mine weighed in just under 3700kg (8150#'s)when I first got it, with both tanks full and me inside. GVWR on it is 7940kg (17,500#'s) and I have it licensed for a GCWR of 20,400kg (45,000#'s) With the deck, engine drive, Ar/Oxy/Acet and a whole bunch of other stuff it is ~7350kg (16,200#'s). The GVW is 5000#'s more than a similar F-350 while only weighing ~750#'s more than the F-350.
i wouldn't want a truck that is within 1300#'s of the gvw before i loaded any projects in it.ford is selling these trucks as crew cab 4x4s also. just a crew cab 2 wheel drive 450 with a mini dump bed(with plywood sides) is 12,800#'s(with a 15,000# gvw) without anybody in it. i'm glad you're happy with yours...just spouting my .02. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
16,200 is with it pretty much loaded up to the nuts with most of my machines and enough consumables, diesel and cylinders to last 2+ weeks. It is much nicer being under your GVWR by 1K+ than over it by a similar amount. I haven’t had the constant front end problems with it that plagued my Dodge 1 ton either. If you are dumb enough to buy an F-450 that is that close to the GVWR before it leaves the lot you deserve whatever headaches it causes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,527 Posts
damn man that sucks, i dont know what to say. It really sounded like the F-550 was what you needed when you where asking on the pbb.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
Toyota_Jim said:
anyway i bought one a months ago or so. anyway, only 6.0 offered
On another board, that has been a reoccuring comlaint. Several folks who are consistantly carrying a lot of weight (and who previously drove 7.3 equipped trucks) haven't liked the higher reving 6.0.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Its not that hard to do the math before you buy something, I was going to get an F550, but it was too close to its gvw for what i needed it for and I bought an F650 with a CAT diesel, and now im happy and it works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
F-550 prior to 2005 had GVWR of 17,500 and 2005+ has 19,000. We've got an F-550 crew cab with 12 foot rescue body, tools, hydraulic generator, etc with four ff's weighing 200+ each plus PPE. Total weight of vehicle with crew is about 17-18k and that thing SCREAMS!!! We have one 2004 6.0 and two 2002 7.3's and the 6.0 will walk off and leave the 7.3's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Firescooby said:
F-550 prior to 2005 had GVWR of 17,500 and 2005+ has 19,000. We've got an F-550 crew cab with 12 foot rescue body, tools, hydraulic generator, etc with four ff's weighing 200+ each plus PPE. Total weight of vehicle with crew is about 17-18k and that thing SCREAMS!!! We have one 2004 6.0 and two 2002 7.3's and the 6.0 will walk off and leave the 7.3's.
You have always been able to get the 550 in 19000 gvw it was an option in the 2wd modles
I have an 04 550 that I am really impressed with the proformance of. It will out run my 99 7.3 hands down theres no comparison in my mind . But I hope the tranny will hold up because I'm on #2 with 7200 miles its the auto.
The truck wieghs 17500 all the time with utility body crane welder ect.

I think the trucks are some what under built for the wieght rating and if the trany failes again I'm gona make ford partisipate in upgrading to a 650 they will get tired of replaceing trannies and I can't deal with the down time

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think im in the market for a bigger truck, class 5 chassis or something.
undecided. money is a factor but not that big of one. If i can get a good truck it will last me 20+ years.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top