Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There wasn't a flow piston, or a piston spring! :eek: Could this be why I was never able to turn very well? I'd imagine these are integral parts of the PS pump. If I go get a new PS pump, and put these parts into my current one from the new one, I should notice a considerable difference right? Or am I just :smokin: ?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows? Just in case it makes a difference, mine is the one with the resevoir on the pump. Is there supposed to be a flow piston on my pump?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
well if there is no spring or relief cartridge the pump WILL NOT make any pressure so it may very well be the reason why you have a hard time steering

are you sure it isnt in there? some times they will stick try poking it with in with your finger (when the fluid is cool please) and if it is in there you will feel the tension of the spring

if its not in there you will be able to feel the 2 large holes (one is the pressure port the other is the passage back into the tank) and you will probably be able to stick your finger 2~ inches into the hole (depending if you have fat fingers or not)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I went and got a new pump from Autozone, and sure enough, there was a spring and piston in the new one. I looked in the old one, and banged it on the ground to see if maybe it was lodged in there, but nope, there was no spring, and no piston. I WAS able to feel the 2 large holes in the there though. Thanks for the help. What a wierd thing that there wasn't a piston or spring.
Hopefully I can get this thing back together, and get my full hydro workin. :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Full hydro??

Welcome to two years ago, man...!

J/K - post some pics you f*ck, I got mine running last night. Just gotta fix the tire and radiator, then wire some more stuff up and I'm all set. BTW - check out KRC power steering pumps - they kick ass. I'll be getting one next month to do the rear steer...

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
Full hydro??

Welcome to two years ago, man...!

J/K - post some pics you f*ck, I got mine running last night. Just gotta fix the tire and radiator, then wire some more stuff up and I'm all set. BTW - check out KRC power steering pumps - they kick ass. I'll be getting one next month to do the rear steer...
Got link ?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well Mikey, this oughta be a good day for you.....get your ass out to LWP and test that thing out. Watch out for the mountain lions! ZUK

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
mj said:
www.google.com

what cfm is required for full hydro? 3.7 is max offered on the KRC site that I saw

in Hydraulics it is GPM not CFM and the GPM of pump should be determined my how fast you want to steer from right lock to left lock

basicly you have ( or will have) a cylinder of X size it would take a orbitol valve of Y size to steer the cylinder so fast ( 2 turns lock to lock or 3 or 4 or 3.5)

how fast you want it to steer will put the spec on how much fluid you need to pump through the valve ( thats how many gpm you will need)

Shoope1 said:
Whats max out of a saginaw too?

most "P" series saganaw pumps will put out between 3 and 5 gpm depending on flow mod and pump shaft speed

keep in mind there are different stile P pumps there is the p132 and the p185 the 132 is the every day run of the mill p then the 185 has the larger ring and rotor (it pumps more oil) which is like the "1400 pump" from PSC

there is only one true way to tell the difference between a P132 and a P185 and that is to compare the ring and rotor (the P185 ring is .200" taller)

elf_cruiser said:
BTW - check out KRC power steering pumps - they kick ass.

they dont kick that much ass just ask Team Carnage Crew who has had the relief valve come appart 3 times during comp courses (when the relief comes appart you have no pressure to steer)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
jstarnes said:
in Hydraulics it is GPM not CFM and the GPM of pump should be determined my how fast you want to steer from right lock to left lock

basicly you have ( or will have) a cylinder of X size it would take a orbitol valve of Y size to steer the cylinder so fast ( 2 turns lock to lock or 3 or 4 or 3.5)

how fast you want it to steer will put the spec on how much fluid you need to pump through the valve ( thats how many gpm you will need)

most "P" series saganaw pumps will put out between 3 and 5 gpm depending on flow mod and pump shaft speed

keep in mind there are different stile P pumps there is the p132 and the p185 the 132 is the every day run of the mill p then the 185 has the larger ring and rotor (it pumps more oil) which is like the "1400 pump" from PSC

there is only one true way to tell the difference between a P132 and a P185 and that is to compare the ring and rotor (the P185 ring is .200" taller)

they dont kick that much ass just ask Team Carnage Crew who has had the relief valve come appart 3 times during comp courses (when the relief comes appart you have no pressure to steer)
Suck. Do you know if they're using the AL pump or the steel pump?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
Suck. Do you know if they're using the AL pump or the steel pump?

the only difference between the cast alu and cast iron is the casting

the aluminum one is supposed to sink out the heat in the system BUT as the pump works the reilef valve floats back and forth which in the aluminum one the steel valve starts to cut a groove in the aluminum ( which will cause the valve to stick in the bore) Team CC's relief comes appart as in the "plug" that holds tension on the spring works its way out untill the pump will not build pressure

sure thats not a big problem just take the pressure port out of the pump, remove the relief and push (hammer) the plug back in to place BUT when you need to steer YOU NEED TO STEER

the relief valves on P and tc pumps screw together so almost no worry about them coming appart

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
jstarnes said:

What applications were the p185 pumps used?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Eric said:
What applications were the p185 pumps used?

one application was a 97-99 chevy Medium Duty with a 6.5 diesel

and the chevy part number 26041539 is a 132 C/K series 3500 chevy (NOT A 185)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
when the ring and vanes get scared up the pump starts to make metal and noise this is one reason you should use a pressure filter to help catch all the metal that the pump makes befor it gets into more expensive stuff

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts