Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to the unvailing yesterday. Here are my impressions, forgive me if i am too harsh.

Exterior- It looks really nice at the front and sides, but like Travis said the back looks like there is something missing (LR tire cover etc..) There isn't really anything that would make you think it is a LR from looking at the back. All in all it looks similar to the RR which looks similar to all the other high-end SUVs.

Interior- Real roomy, lots of buttons and gadgets. Voice command for everything even though the sales guys couldn't get it to work (i guess he didn't have a good enough british accent) I didn't like where the window controls were though. There was almost too many buttons, so many in fact that i couldn't ever figure out how to turn the rear wiper off . The seats were very comfortable and the insttrument cluster was nicely laid out.

Performance- I thought the acceleration was damn good. Take in mind that i drove my Disco at 65mph the way up there, so anything would feel fast. It handled well in curves. I didn't get a chance to take it on the offroad course because they had blocked it off.

Event- After going to the Freelander unveiling, this event was a complete 180. Everyone was in suits and dresses, there was a caterer that had people take your plates and cups, or give you refills. Everyone was talking about how many kids it could fit, or where to put groceries when they filled the car with 7 people. There were no mentions besides myself as of offroad capability, or trailrides, upgradability, where to put a winch etc... I saw a couple of people that were actual LR enthusiasts, and spotted them by there LR t-shirts, blue jeans or LR hats. It was really scared that the people would get pissed that my Disco was leaking PS fuild on there asphalt. There was one of our customers that drove his SIIA when he pulled up people were saying "what is that?" I really don't know what LR is coming to.

Overall- It is a nice "car" and that is about it. It may be the best offroader that Solihull has built, but with all the gadgets and electronic computers it makes me very weary to even drive it in the rain. I didn't see any way to upgrade the vehicle. If i had the money to buy one i would, but only has a family road vehicle. I couldn't imagine what would happen to the interior if i had mud on my boots or something. It should make some soccer moms really happy.

Brad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,582 Posts
Had the same experience here in the UAE...not suits but "dishdashes" (the white robes that are worn)...

Same feelings - well said...

Sadly my truck was not with me...so no heart attacks occured...

I did like the fact that the truck was really well laid out...its a "road crusier", not an offroader...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
WBDISCO said:
Event- After going to the Freelander unveiling, this event was a complete 180. Everyone was in suits and dresses, there was a caterer that had people take your plates and cups, or give you refills.
We want to the Land Rover Cary LR3 event, they also did a really nice job. They only had one LR3, on display in the showroom, no test drives.

I'm a gadget-boy, so I'm really interested to see the HSE version which has the voice activated TV screen, shows wheel position, differential state (lock/unlock) and extent of suspension travel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one that i test drove had the wheel position, 4x4 settings, and nav system in it. It was pretty impressive. They also said that all the wiring was fiber optics. I would think that that would make it pretty hard to trace a short :D

Brad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,582 Posts
you'd need to get yourself a nice laptop instead of all these spanners/wrenches to deal with this one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
We've had a few of them in at our dealership this week, I like them.

But, I can speak from experience here... DO NOT buy the tent that opens off the back of the truck. I tried to set one up yesterday working with 2 techs and a salesman and it took us a half hour to re-engineer it and fix all the backwards assembly that LR had put it together with.

I would wheel the crap out of one, even if I paid for it. I guess it comes down to the fact that I'm not afraid of electricals anymore, and can appreciate what a GOOD traction control system can do.

Give me rock sliders and some 31" mud terrains and i'll take it anywhere :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
64rovr said:
We've had a few of them in at our dealership this week, I like them.

But, I can speak from experience here... DO NOT buy the tent that opens off the back of the truck. I tried to set one up yesterday working with 2 techs and a salesman and it took us a half hour to re-engineer it and fix all the backwards assembly that LR had put it together with.

I would wheel the crap out of one, even if I paid for it. I guess it comes down to the fact that I'm not afraid of electricals anymore, and can appreciate what a GOOD traction control system can do.

Give me rock sliders and some 31" mud terrains and i'll take it anywhere :flipoff2:
I dunno. Saw one at the dealer where I used to work yesterday. Wasn't that impressive. Large tires and wheels, interior is nice. Reminds me of the new Range. I was left feeling that it was kinda bland.

Maybe it's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
HandBuilt said:
I dunno. Saw one at the dealer where I used to work yesterday. Wasn't that impressive. Large tires and wheels, interior is nice. Reminds me of the new Range. I was left feeling that it was kinda bland.

Maybe it's just me.
I thought the interior looked alot like an Expedition. I look at it as more of a styling exercise than anything else. Im guessing that in less than 5 years it will again be redesigned. The origional RR lasted about 25 years, its replacement not even half that. The Disco lasted 10 years, its replacement half that. I don't get sucked into the marketing.

-Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
No personal experience of the D3, but I spoke to my favourite LR dealership mech when he was on product training, and he was extremely impressed by the product. And I'm not talking about the styling. He found the RR3 ritzier, but a much inferior offroader than the D3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
I think I can get 32s on it. Lock it in high, hit both lockers, and thrash away.

Ron

Alyssa said it went pretty good offroad up in canada, but she likes the RR better . . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
wilsby said:
No personal experience of the D3, but I spoke to my favourite LR dealership mech when he was on product training, and he was extremely impressed by the product. And I'm not talking about the styling. He found the RR3 ritzier, but a much inferior offroader than the D3.
The boys from the shop say it's nice, haven't had to fix one yet, so I hope it is. Off-road's pretty good according to them. It looks like an OK vehicle, but it's not as groundbreaking as it needs to be I think.

SUVs are a slippery market and they are going to suffer by making it too car like. I can't see why they didn't try and cash in on the big ass tough Hummer market, the brand identities are both very strong. Hummer is testosterone, Land-Rover is going soccermom. Why not? Just look at how many pussies are driving CTDs, Powerjokes, and other heavy trucks. The disco should have been way less civilized.

My opinion. But I'm going to look at an orange 74 Westy tonight, so I don't really have a reason for caring :flipoff2: :grinpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
They arent. Its very very similar to the Range Rover though. And whichever engineers are responsible for the rear seats (2nd and 3rd row) deserve a cookie. They are super functional and the 3rd row has more than enough legroom for me at 6'1" 190lbs
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top