Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweet...

Made the modifications as outlined in your "article", I don't have hydro-assist but my gm pump never seemed to do the job that well at a stand-still, did the mod and its 1 finger steering.

Thanks alot....

I recommend anyone with a GM power steering pump to take the small amount of time and perform this simple modification...West Texas Off-Road

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I got my box and hoses the other day and am waiting on my ram. I hope it works well enough to turn my welded front on a slab.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I did the mod on my FJ40 and although it helped when there isnt much resistance on the tires, I still find it VERY difficult if not impossible to turn the wheel when against even a short rock. My pump might be burnt up though. How do you tell if the pump has gone bad?

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
Glad to hear that it worked out great for you. Keep us informed on how it holds up for you. I've got one that has been going for 2 years with no problems.

Spoolinaround our next batch of rams are due anyday if your hasn't already been sent out.

t wrecks, It's hard to say when one is just starting to go. But you should have definately noticed at least a little difference in power.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
They are good mods however.... you need to take it serious when he says to take it a step at a time. That creates alot of pressure. I ended up having so much pressure that I was able to twist the splines on my box. It also blew my pump up.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
yeah, I cracked the pump casting my first time around...fortunately, AutoZone has a lifetime warranty...heh heh

No problems, over a year on this one now.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
t wrecks, It's hard to say when one is just starting to go. But you should have definately noticed at least a little difference in power.

I did notice some increase in power, just not enough. Are you guys removing the shims only or are you useing a spacer under the spring as well?

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
t wrecks said:

I did notice some increase in power, just not enough. Are you guys removing the shims only or are you useing a spacer under the spring as well?
I didnt start off with shims. So yes I did add them.

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
Erik D_lux said:
I ended up having so much pressure that I was able to twist the splines on my box.
KEWL!!!!

you mean sector shaft splines? WOW!!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hey Matt

i had one that i did the same thing to. twisted the shaft at the splines. replaced it and it has been good since then

hey i had a good time last weekend. you guys missed a great day sunday.

i ended up taking my 2nd power steering pump off and put on a 12v hydraulic pump for my suspension. man you want to talk about force.......oooo lala

Mike
http://www.blacksheep4x4.com

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
TheLakeRat said:

KEWL!!!!

you mean sector shaft splines? WOW!!!
If thats the output splines then yeah. I was glad I had a lifetime warrenty box from Schucks. I took it back and was like "yeah must be something werid with the box.":D

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
I've blown them completely apart and blown all the seals out of them but i've never been able to twist off a sector.
Good Job Guys, I'm proud of ya:p :D

The plan was to stay till Sunday afternoon but after i lost my Tranny and had such a hard time making it back to camp everyone else i was with just decided they didn't want to stay.

Then Saturday night was not one of my proudest moments. I'm quite sure that Cooter Brown would have been ashamed to claim me after killing 2 bottle of whiskey. Needless to say Ralph and myself went for a walk before bed.:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts