Pirate 4x4 banner

What’s the go for rear suspension to match RUF when chevy rears aren’t an option.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  caliZuki 
#1 ·
I’m about to embark on RUF and highsteer. I’ve been told to just got lifted rear springs to level the truck out. I’m thinking of welding in an inverted shock mount in rear to angle shocks in a bit and maximise their length. Good idea or bad? It’s 96 dual cab hilux in Australia hence Chevy springs aren’t really an option. It’s daily driver so I’m looking to keep on road manners so I’m hesitant about mounting the shocks on angles. Also when you do angle the shocks in, do you still alternate the side of the axle they mount to or put them both on same side.

while I’m here, I’m welding in steering box plate and new shock towers, the chassis is pristine do I still need to add braces and plates in that area to the chassis or just send it? Biggest wheels I’m running will be 33s.
Thanks

#2 ·
I'm formulating a plan now. My plan for the rears is to fit rear springs off a later model, obviously checking the lengths as I'm after some springs that are a bit longer not so much for the lift. My plan is to plan around with the pack to get a nice ride that still handles. I'll probably end up redoing either the spring mounts or shackle mounts so I don't need to rely on ridiculous shackles to get them to fit.

Shocks I'm thinking of mounting them straight up and down as close to wheel as possible, tilted 10 degrees roughly backwards if need be for length, both on the rear of back axle. Bottom Mount will most likely be 0.5-1" below the axle undecided yet and top Mount will be as high as I can without cutting the tray.

I'm not too sure why most places sell bars/mounts to Mount the shocks inboard as any length you gain your loosing in dampener effectiveness anyway and you increasing body roll. I don't like.

#3 ·
Id get a tape measure and go to a junkyard to start looking at long flat springs from the 56-64" length that are the correct width. Shocks mounted like this l l will aways have better sway control than shocks mounted like this / \.

Reactions: jgrov2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.