Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still wondering if this would work. Asked Station on here via e-mail months ago & got nothing back.
I'm gonna be running a front Toyota PU axle in the rear of my Suzuki for rear steering. I'm only running 35" tires with a 1.6L motor. So I've got an electric hydraulic pump but I'd rather not use it for several reasons. So if I tapped my PS box like others have for ram assist but instead ran two hoses back to a ram in the rear (and through a cooler)would it work at all??? I don't care if it would be fast or super strong since it's just rear steering for off road use anyways. Then it would be fully proportional & I could just add some ball valves to stop the rear from turning to make the rear stay straight on the road. Oh and bal valves to change configuration to reverse for crab walk

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
I am not a hydrolic guy, but my boss is. I asked him how I should do this and he said it would work best/cheapest to get an engine driven hydrolic pump and then a spool (hydro valve) to operate the rear steer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have asked people that are supposed to be experts on certain mechanical things before & ot my surprise I find that I know more about it then them. I think when it comes to hydraulics in a off road 4x4 truck even the hydraulic guys out there (unless they wheel) are clueless. I don't see how it would cost less to do it that way really.:confused:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Hydro assist works because the drag link meters the ram. What if you wanted to turn the rear more than the front? It would be best to set this up with an engine driven saginaw pump, a 2 way lever valve and a ram. This would allow you individual control of the rear steering, instead of keeping it in check with the front.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
How about reading the answer I already posted to the same question in the Toyota forum?

I haven't done it for rear steer, but I've run ram assist in almost every configuration imaginable (draglink missing, steering box not attached, ram freewheeling, without power at all, etc.) and I still say it'll be scary at best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts