Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know its been done before(randy torbett) but I have a chance to get a set of New Holand tractor axles for cheap. I got a 3.8l ford motor, c-4 ,and maybe a STak 2 speed. I can build a chassis no problem just thought I would see what ya'll think about it. May put in a 3.8l supercharged just for kicks.:D

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Matching gear ratios front and rear? Usually 4WD tractor have drastically different tire sizes, and the R&P gear ratios are offset to match.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me clear it up a little. Its two fronts out of the some type tractor. they have planitarys so the gearing is around 7.17. One of the advatages is the turning radius w/ front & rear steer its unreal they will turn way past 45* maybe as much as 60*.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
so you will turn so much your rig falls over?? :flipoff2:

I was just curious as I'd never considered something like that useful in wheeling. Would be interesting to see. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
If you don't want them, buy them and send them to me. :D Torbett did pretty damn good with them, and the steering angle is pretty damn nice too.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
The gear ratio is probably even lower than 7.17. I thought Torbett was running close to 10:1 in his axles. The turning angle is 55 degrees. Problems you will have are -

- Cast housings make it a little inconvenient for welding on brackets. He also broke a housing in half in the area where the link tabs had been welded on.
- Brakes, Randy made some pinion brakes, and they worked well. Rocks may damage them because the pinions aren't that high.
- Width, Randy had probably 6" or 7" of backspacing to get the buggy around 80".
- Centered front diff, it was the achilles heel of Randy's buggy. He had to run a link bent under the front driveshaft which was very close to the harmonic balancer. That buggy threw more sparks than any vehicle I've ever seen, The bent link failed multiple times causing serious damage. If you raise your belly height it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

You won't break axles though. He broke one axle shaft in the 4 years he ran that buggy. That breakage was because the steering was turning too far and binding up the u-joints.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I measured the axles they were 68" flange to flange which is about a 60 front the only thing is the mounting flange has about 10 bolts on a 13" dia. I think I can make some 17" wheels work but I'll have to see. thanks for the info on trobett's rig.

·
Registered
583 Posts
in stead of welding, couldent you braize the tabs for the kinks and such on, braizing is suposed to be stronger than welding

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
what Jesse said.

If you get them run them hard. No sense in running them soft. Torbett just wouldnt hear that.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
in stead of welding, couldent you braize the tabs for the kinks and such on, braizing is suposed to be stronger than welding
just use the proper rod for cast and stick weld them.
if its a trail truck you wont break the houseing like randy did.
just a thought:smokin:

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
the planetaries I have are 17.44:1 with a 3.7~ in the r&p. they are square, so make some giant clamp plates for them. a square axle is easy to capture with big enough hardware and plate. then bridge between the 2 capture plates over the top for your truss. Lucky me, mine have wheel brakes, but will only fit a 20" rim. still need to do something, and if bajabilly hadn't fucked me on a buggy, I would be running them.
good luck, and if the price is right, snatch them up in a second. I am a nancy when it comes to welding to cast. I can't make myself trust it. ever. I would rather find a way to attach to avoid welding as much as possible.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
welding to cast doen't bother me I have been welding for 15 yrs. I broke a bead and crimp machine in the shop it uses a lot of pressure in the forming of beads in pipe. The upper arm broke its .5" cast I pulled out the grinder, beveled the brake, put some welding wire my friend from rocket city offroad gave me he had for welding cast, welded it up, and have never had a problem out of it. So I don't think that welding to the cast on the axle will be a problem.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
let me clear it up a little. Its two fronts out of the some type tractor. they have planitarys so the gearing is around 7.17. One of the advatages is the turning radius w/ front & rear steer its unreal they will turn way past 45* maybe as much as 60*.
Ahhh...well that would make a difference:flipoff2:

Do It!:grinpimp:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts