Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1991 International bus that i am going to convert it. I am only 19 years old. I don't know what to do about insurance, can anyone help? thanks. I found several laws stating that if all the seats are removed and the vehicle has any of the 2 following conditions: cooking area, sleeping area, or restroom, than by law it must be called a motor home and liscened as such and insured as such. Aparently the DMV will alow you to change the title of the bus form shool bus to motor home. Does any one know of any one who has done this or anything at all? If any one was or is in my postion what did you do, thanks!!!!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I'm in the process of buying something similar...

Here's what not to do when speaking with the insurance company:

"I have a converted school bus"
"I have a bus"

Here's what TO say:
"I have a 1991 International RV that I'd like an insurance quote on please"

Insurance companies FREAK when they hear "bus" or "conversion"... Dont' ask me why, it's ignorance at its finest.

And be glad your laws are so lenient. in NC, we have to have 4 of the 6 things you mentioned permanently attached.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As a agent I can tell you that I would have no market for you. The two main companies that so no conversions on busses and also your age. Are you professional converting it?
Also there is nothing ignorate about it. If a company wont write it is because they have had problems in the past with losses and to avoid the losses they will just get rid of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts