Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still wondering if this would work. Asked Station on here via e-mail months ago & got nothing back.
I'm gonna be running a front Toyota PU axle in the rear of my Suzuki for rear steering. I'm only running 35" tires with a 1.6L motor. So I've got an electric hydraulic pump but I'd rather not use it for several reasons. So if I tapped my PS box like others have for ram assist but instead ran two hoses back to a ram in the rear (and through a cooler)would it work at all??? I don't care if it would be fast or super strong since it's just rear steering for off road use anyways. Then it would be fully proportional & I could just add some ball valves to stop the rear from turning to make the rear stay straight on the road. Oh and bal valves to change configuration to reverse for crab walk:cool2:

·
Registered
343 Posts
WON'T WORK

i answered this question sometime ago, don't know if it was you or not, but it won't work.

ram assists work by "sharing" the pressure. it is a matter of "least resistance" is where the pressure/fluid goes. when the box starts to have trouble the fluid then flows to the ram and back and forth, hense the term: "assist" your rear tires wouldn't start to turn until the front has trouble or is at full lock, then the rear would go full lock. basically uncontrollable.

good luck. your idea of an electric pump is what most people do and seems to be best. 2 complete separate systems is better in my oppinion anyhow.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright so they "help" each other so to speak so it wouldn't work. DAM!!
Everybody seems to think the electric/hydraulic set up would be great but I disagree that's why I wanted to try to do it with a motor driven PS pump etc.
Issues I have with the electric/hydraulic pump set up:

It is VERY noisy
Pump & tank is VERY heavy (for it's size)
It is gonna take up space in the cab of my rig
Non-proportional steering (pump is running or not running via a electric switch full flow)
It is a major strain on the vehicles electric system & weak 1.6L motor
It's gonna be hard to steer with steering wheel AND steer rear wheels with switch at the same time.Elelctric/hydraulic pumps are expensive (already scored a pump for free luckily!)
Well, guess I'll end up going with the elect/hydo pump though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
343 Posts
have seen it done, sorta

Scott in his Raptor used to run a hand lever valve like on a log splitter that was driven from his power steering pump (tied into the rest of his system (i think), but last time i saw him i was coming back into loon lake area off of the slap and right behind him and i noticed the noise of the electric pump when the previous year it was quite with the lever type valve. (you like that 1 REALLLLLLY LONG SENTENCE, cool huh. my wife is a school teacher and just bitches like all hell when she sees it).

the thing is. after watching many people running rear steer, you don't always use the rear and sometimes it can hurt you. also you want to be able to go both ways at a moments notice. sometimes you want to "crab" it, and sometimes you want to turn with it.

i'm not sure on how you would tie both systems using the same pump, as the return line out of your standard box is not high pressure. what about running 2 pumps and your standard hydraulic proporsioning valve. Scott ran his right between the seats, and with power steering and an automatic it was pretty easy to work the gas/wheel/rear-steer all at one time. he would work the rear back/forth when he couldn't climb something until he felt it grab and then hold the rear there until over the obstacle.

good luck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong but the toyota ps pump is seperate from the resivoir right? if so why not get a second stock toy pump for the rear setup and rig them both to the resivoir, this way you have solid power for both ends not to mention a second pump incase the main fails.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Get an electric subaru ps pump, the are small, quiet and badass...but kinda hard to find. Search the general and you can find more info. I have seen them in action and they are impressive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts