Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing talk about adding gauges for the P/S, what additional gauges should I have to monitor the engine, and better yet, where's the best place to buy them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'm running a pyro (pre-turbo), tranny temp for the auto, and boost guage. I think I bought them all from Western Diesel, but I don't really remember. I've got them all in a Rockin' S Performance overhead guage pod. I'll try to take a pic and post it up here in a little bit.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Here are a couple pics.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Here is another link...i can't seem to get it to resize correctly
Picture 2

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice looking gauge install! I just put some DiPricol boost and pyro gauges in an 03 Powerstroke w/ the 7.3. Pyro install was super easy since you're drilling up so the chips fall back down, not into the exhaust. Normally when drilling manifolds for a pyrometer use some grease on the bit and tap to retain the cuttings and use a pencil magnet to pick up all you can out of the exhaust manifold. These gauges came from TST products.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have a pre turbo pyro, boost, and oil temp, all VDO vision series (match the stock instrumentation, as they are backlit with a fiberoptic lit pointer, justlike my 93's stock instruments) I have them in an autometer pillar pod.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
IYJ

Definatly a pyro and a boost gauge.
If you have an auto, a tranny temp gauge is good

After that, I'd think about oil temp, water pressure, and then restriction gauges.

·
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got an '02, it already has the tranny temp, it seems that everything I've found out is a boost and pyro are needed.

Now what's this restriction gauge that you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Air,Fuel,and oil filter restriction gauges.
Lets you know if they are getting plugged or collapsing for other reasons.

Probably overkill, but my ol' man always said you can't have too much information.

·
Registered
697 Posts
CrazyHorse said:
I have a pre turbo pyro, boost, and oil temp, all VDO vision series (match the stock instrumentation, as they are backlit with a fiberoptic lit pointer, justlike my 93's stock instruments) I have them in an autometer pillar pod.
I just ordered the same gauages this week. Also a 4" exhaust. I will then be ready to chip my 00 for some power!!:D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm not a fan of Autometer gauges, but if they float your boat, go for it.

I'd run ISSPRO,or VDO long before I'd run Autometer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Well I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I will. A rearaxle temp gauge plus the others above. If your rear axle has a drain plug you can stick the pickup there. And if you have a stick a tranny temp there too. My axles run around 150* most the time and if the roadranger goes over 250* I'm pulling over and letting the trans cool down. Why are y'all running your pyro pre turbo? Every big rig I've driven with has the pyro post turbo. My Pete has speedo, tach, pyro, oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, air pressure, air pressure application, volt meter, boost, air filter restriction, trans temp, and 2 diff. temps.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you really want to be trick about it you can get a Mag-Hytec rearend cover which increases lube capacity and has screw in fittings for a temp sender. They also have a drain plug and are just plain cool. As for the pre turbo Pyro probes they give a more accurate reading of what EGTs are. Your post turbo EGT will be less than before the turbo and can be influenced by things like boost pressure, turbo size and type. This is a larger issue in modified engines, imagine the variance for those running multiple turbos. The argument for post turbo is that if the probe breaks for whatever reason the pieces go harmlessly down the exhaust instead of straight into the turbine. Probe failures are almost unheard of and the concensus is that the small risk is worth having the more accurate reading.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
InfantryYJ said:
Will these two do fine?

Boost

EGT Gauge
I would go with a different boost gauge, the one you linked to is for a gas motor, since it has vacuum and boost. You want a gauge that starts at 0 psi and goes up from there. Not sure how much boost the PS gets, I can hit 36 but I think the Fords tend to run a little lower. (Check with someone that has a similar setup to yours.)

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
InfantryYJ said:
I've got an '02, it already has the tranny temp, it seems that everything I've found out is a boost and pyro are needed.

Now what's this restriction gauge that you're talking about?

the factory in dash tranny temp is the biggest joke on earth, i've got an aftermarket tranny temp gauge and it's been up to 210 degrees and the stock on never moves, ever notice it's up to running temp in 1-2 miles? when not towing my tranny never get's over 110 degrees. but teh gauge on teh dash read's normal? when it's straining pullin 20k over a pass and the aftermarket's reading 210, the stock is normal..

it's a POS, get the aftermarket, it's so worth it :D

i've got the pyro POST turbo where it should be... boost and tranny temp on mine...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Keith Strong said:
Dumb question...does a manual need a guage? I would think not?
Yes and the same reason for running a diff. temp gauge. My RTO15715 runs about 190*s pulling easy. Start pulling hard and it's 215*- 225*. If the trans hits 250* I'm pulling over and let the trans cool off before it does major damage. When a manual trans is to hot you start spining bearing races and other bad things. The one I replaced last year had got to hot and trashed the trans housing. I had the temp gauge hooked up when they put the new trans in as the diff gauges and trans gauge was inop when I bought the truck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts