Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought AA mfg brackets I have the GM calipers and I bought matching GM rotors. The rotors are 12.25" and I think I need somewere in the ball park of 11". My problem is that the bracket with the caliper mounted doesnt sit down on the axle tube like its made to. The caliper pins rest on the rotor before I have the brackets sitting were I need them to weld.
I went to AZ and went through there paper catalog lookin for something that would work, but they all seem to be around 12in.

Am I on crack or what?
Ive searched and everyone says GM calipers (I have em)
GM rotors (Thats what these are 82 K20 to be exact)
and AA weld ons. Some reason It aint jiving!!!!! I know I can just weld this thing up and "make" it work, but I dont want the bracket to be floating and not sitting around the axle tube like it should

also since the rotors co behind the wheel hub, what are you doing for wheel studs? I tryed to just use stockers and they are loose fit in the rotor so they aint going to jive either?

what am I missing here, seems easy enough but this little shit has me SOS <----stuck on stupid :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats to make up for the space between the bracket and the flange that is already on the axle for the drum brake backing plate

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The AA brackets are designed around 1/2 ton (or street car) rotors which have a smaller OD than the 3/4 and 1 ton rotors. Just weld a little flange to the housing and then weld the AA bracket to the flange at the correct distance to clear your rotors.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could do that, I havent decided, what about wheel studs then?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
If you want to stay with 8 lug, you need to raise the AA bracket off of the housing just enough to have the caliper pins clear the OD of the rotor. You can't weld then onto the housing unless your housing has a big enough OD that is spaces the caliper pins out enough to clear the rotors.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
morpheus said:

that's what I did. In the time this guy has taken to post about his dilemma I already had mine finished :D

- jack
TRANSLATION:

Ive done this exact same thing before, but Im to much of an asshole to just give you a simple answer. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what did you do for your wheel studs? Is it a "no-no" to weld (tack) em to the back side of the rotor? I assume Im not going to find any that press fit into my rotor since the rotor was a floating style one originally.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Take a calipers and measure the inside diameters of the holes in the rotor and the hub. Then go to the parts store with your calipers and go through the bins with wheel studs in them. I did this when doing a 5 on 5.5 dana 60 front and I was able to find what I needed.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See that kids at home, with a little ribbing and patience you can get answers off of the PBB ! :flipoff2:

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I know it's too late for you now, but AA Man. has another bracket that does not already have the radius cut into it.....maybe that would work better for our applications...just need to radius it with a grinder or something.

With that said I used a set of radiused brackets....they were just welded on...no spacer, gap was filled in with weld, have been holding for over a year (daily driver too).

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
What is wrong with the original wheel studs that you took out of your FF hub? The studs only need to press into the FF hub, not the rotor (unless you are doing something different).

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
With the rotor behind the hub, my studs are a loose fit all the way through there, they arent long enough to press back into the wheel hub, they are long enough to bolt a wheel on and such, but its kinda hard to with the studs spinning! LOL :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i think you are drunk, and have a chemical imbalance that is causing all these problems.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Were your drums behind the hub or did they just slide on the hub? What vehicle and year was this rear axle from?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ok, I'm glad this thread was started cause I've got a question. I'm gonna be setting up discs on an F-100 D60 using the AA brackets and Waggy calipers. But to keep the 5x5.5 bolt pattern I'd like to use F-150 rotors. Anybody see why this combination might not work?

TIA. :beer:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pdaddy said:
With the rotor behind the hub, my studs are a loose fit all the way through there, they arent long enough to press back into the wheel hub, they are long enough to bolt a wheel on and such, but its kinda hard to with the studs spinning! LOL :flipoff2:
Being the good Counter Monkey that you are :flipoff2:, check the dimensions for 14bolt FF rear wheel studs. I reused them when I converted my 14's to disc. If the Knurled dimension is the same, you should be set. They will be 9/16"

Or there is alwaysScrew in studs

1 - 20 of 37 Posts