Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a rear 44 right now and I want something the same width as my front waggy 44 and I dont wanna cut down a rear axle, are there any choices that are 6 lug and around the same width of my front waggy 44 I really dont think there is but maybe Im missing something . <IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
any full width chevy axle, but they will be wider, but u can offset it some with more backspace on the rim, maybe a d44 from an izuzu? i know they come with disc brakes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
I ran into a similar problem. I picked up a J4000 D44 at 65.5 inches wide, and I have a front waggy D44 at 61.5 inches wide. Well, the axles are on their way to Moser to be somewhat copied and changed to 6 lugs. And I'm cutting down the housing 4 inches on the one side, which will actually center it.

I wish I didn't have to go this route so I could have saved some $$$. <IMG SRC="smilies/crybaby2.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
First of all, What width is it?

is it a 65 or a 60? If its a 65 then any chevy fullsize 12 bolt work.. If its a 60 any waggy will work or scout just change the outter knuckles of a waggy along with the outter shafts then your six lug

I am going 60 inch axles front a scout with inner scout axles and outter waggy/chevy axles and knuckles. the rear is a waggy rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Originally posted by WheelingPiazza:
<STRONG>First of all, What width is it?

is it a 65 or a 60? If its a 65 then any chevy fullsize 12 bolt work.. If its a 60 any waggy will work or scout just change the outter knuckles of a waggy along with the outter shafts then your six lug

I am going 60 inch axles front a scout with inner scout axles and outter waggy/chevy axles and knuckles. the rear is a waggy rear.</STRONG>

Aside from the fact that it would LOOK funky (when was the last time any of us were concerned with the way our rig LOOKED anyway?!?!), is there any disadvantage to having a front that is 60" wide and a rear that is 65" wide? Will it track funky down the highway? (gotta get to the trails somehow)

My current setup is Scout axles front and rear, but I have a pair of axles on my trailer that are Scout dana44 front and Travellall dana60 rear (60" and 65" respectively). I know it will look like my Jeep has a fat A$$, but will I notice anything else? Anyone else have a setup like this?

I figure if it looks REALLY whacked out, I'll just get a pair of 2" wheel spacers up front and call it a day.
<IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/nuke.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
Originally posted by Jeepmangled87:
<STRONG>I got a rear 44 right now and I want something the same width as my front waggy 44 and I dont wanna cut down a rear axle, are there any choices that are 6 lug and around the same width of my front waggy 44 I really dont think there is but maybe Im missing something . <IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
HAHA sorry I think its funny your searching for a dana 44 to match the one you got out of a wagoneer, but if you would of looked at a older wagoneer you would of noticed front and rear 44's and guess what they are the same width! also you can use the AMC 20 that would of been in the back of the wagoneer you got the front from. The AMC is arguably as strong as the 44
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Originally posted by NE-RokToy:
<STRONG>HAHA sorry I think its funny your searching for a dana 44 to match the one you got out of a wagoneer, but if you would of looked at a older wagoneer you would of noticed front and rear 44's and guess what they are the same width! also you can use the AMC 20 that would of been in the back of the wagoneer you got the front from. The AMC is arguably as strong as the 44</STRONG>
It's entirely possible that either someone ELSE already nabbed the rear, OR that the waggie he got the front out of was a Quadratrac Waggie, in which case the rear would be offset instead of centered, and thus useless. You don't know the details of his situation, so I'd leave the non-helpful comments out of it. The dude asked a pretty reasonable question. Some people are just so quick to flame everyone on the board.

<IMG SRC="smilies/pissed.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/pissed.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
Are you dead set on north american axles???
86+ toyota axles are 59" flange to flange
Newer Tacoma's are somewhere around 62"
Both are as strong as a 44 (30 spline)
Also they are a whole lot easier to weld to (ie: trac bar brackets etc.)
<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
a wag from the 80's will have either a d44 or amc20 you could use. or like was stated earlier the toyota rears are pretty close and just as strong as a d44 if you don't plan on putting a v8 in there. if you do i say get a cab and chassis chevy dually rear 14bolt. 62" wide and all you have to do is find 8 lug outers for your 44 from a 3/4 ton dana44 or 10bolt. you would be ready fot a front dana60 swap in the future if you went this route too. if you wouldn't mind swapping the front to 5 lug then you could use a d44 from the back of a scoutII or a ford 9" from 70's modle f100. i had a 9" from one and it was only 62" wide. with these two options you could either have the wagoneers d44 hubs and rotors redrilled to the 5 on 5 1/2" wheel pattern or just swap on outers from a ford d44. just some options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Go full floater on the rear and put on hubs and rotors that are 6 lug. You can also redrill your 5 lug shafts to match the 6 lug set-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
HAHA sorry I think its funny your searching for a dana 44 to match the one you got out of a wagoneer, but if you would of looked at a older wagoneer you would of noticed front and rear 44's and guess what they are the same width! also you can use the AMC 20 that would of been in the back of the wagoneer you got the front from. The AMC is arguably as strong as the 44
I thought the same thing too. But the Waggy 44s I picked up measured 58" rear and the front measures 60.5". My stock axles measured 61.5" front and 62.5" rear. I thought that was kinda wierd. :confused: But the measuring tape didn't lie. So that is why I decided to cut down the J4000 housing. It centered the pig and gave me the width that I need. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Oxjockey said:
The fronts are made wider to allow for a better turning radius and to help with tracking.

Bryan
Yeah I know that is usually what gives, but on my XJ, the housing in the rear was slightly wider than the front (1.5" to 2"). I'll swear by it too... I measured that thing about 12 times before I decided it was true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
Herzog said:


I thought the same thing too. But the Waggy 44s I picked up measured 58" rear and the front measures 60.5". My stock axles measured 61.5" front and 62.5" rear. I thought that was kinda wierd. :confused: But the measuring tape didn't lie. So that is why I decided to cut down the J4000 housing. It centered the pig and gave me the width that I need. :)
well you got a point, I just meant close enough!
 

·
Registered
"BABE" - 1979 Jeep J20 Longbed - '94 12v / T-18 / D20 / US Gear O/D
Joined
·
907 Posts
HEY OLDTIMERS ! ! ! WOULD THIS WORK FOR HIM ? ! ?

:confused: I'm asking ya cuz I'mma newbie and knew you guys are in the know. I am going up to the 8-lug 60/14 combo and will be pulling out what I've got, soon. I have a matching set of '80 Waggie Wides. The front is a 44 driver's drop and the rear an AMC 20 is a center diff with the good one-piece axles. Would this set give him what he is looking for? :rolleyes: I have already run all over K-Mart and couldn't find the "Blue Light Special" on "Getting a Clue" ... so throw me a :flipoff2: bone would ya ?! What :question: What :question: What was that :question: UUUhhh NO!! I am allergic to seafood! Thanx Tigger4X
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top