Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry guys, new to XJ's

Traded my car for my friends 98 XJ

it is currently 2wd but he install a non-cod high pinion 30 in the front. I am curious as to what my transmission choices are to fully convert it to 4wd? Kinda a new territory for me since I have never really dealt with this kind of swap before. I don't have an issue running a np231.

I have a 1979 dana 44 with radius arms I may swap in and have a divorced np 205 from my previous project. But don't think running the 205 is the best candidate for this Jeep.

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
The easiest thing would be to get a 4wd ax15 or aw4 and a 231 transfer case. The 2wd will unbolt and the 4wd will go in easy. Being a 1998, I'm not sure how the engine computer will deal with a 4wd trans. it might not even notice.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
supposudly 98 + has a different computer setup so I need a 98 + aw4 is the best I can figure. Not sure if a grand cherokee or other 4.0l trans is viable.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't think they would be. Different sensors, and software controlling them. Try to find a 96+ (I think 96 should work...it was the first year of OBD2) and it will be very simple. The AW4 is much more robust than the Grand transmission. I think that 1993 was the only year that the AW4 came in the ZJs. Keep the AW4 temps down with a good cooler and get a temp gauge. Don't let it get above 180 and it will serve you for a long time! There is some debate about DEX/MERC vs ATF4 fluid. I use DEX/MERC, but that's just me.

Transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, and t-case linkage is all that I think you will need. You already have a front axle, so that's an expense that you don't have to worry about.

Just a thought, but you might want to verify that your front ratio matches your rear ratio. They are probably both 3.55s, but it would suck to have 3.07 in the front!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposedly my boss verified the gears matched. I was sure to ask that :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would throwing the divorced 205 behind the 2wd aw4 be a terrible idea? I also have a hp 44 for the front and was gonna pull a 9" from the junkyard. Well that's the plan anyway.

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
Would throwing the divorced 205 behind the 2wd aw4 be a terrible idea? I also have a hp 44 for the front and was gonna pull a 9" from the junkyard. Well that's the plan anyway.
How much cutting are you willing to do or how much are you willing to have hang down? Every 205 I've seen in an xj required liberal cutting...

There is also the issue of gearing, I can tell you that I don't have enough gear in my setup, I can bind it up almost too easily (231, 5.13 in axles, 39.5 tires), if you were to run 5.38's in your axles and a similar size tire you would still be higher geared than me.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up finding a 1999 aw4 and transfer case. Installed it, but seems to have some driveline vibes. Have a 4" lift, and the 231 I picked up has the fixed rear splined output.

Its either driveline vibes, or it doesn't help that my rear tires are old and pretty beat lol.

Still need to find the shift lever assembly.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A 4" lift with a stock drive shaft is pretty high.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Seems to be luck of the draw. Never had issues with up to 4.5" and one didn't even have an sye. Never saw the need for more than 4.5" lift.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts