Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what to look for and many people say this and that but I want to know from peoples experience.

What I want:

Offroad capable DD
Not rust prone
No tranny or engine issues... (kinda like an XJ Cherokee)

I just want something good looking, capable and tough. Any ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daily driver that is natural disaster capable and gonna get you out of shit. Wheeling? nothing competative but... Price range? Def under $10,000. Why the first gen xterra?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I say 1st gen Xterra too. Highly praised by owners, and they're starting to catch on in the 4x4 world. However....

No matter what you get... it's going to rust. Just depends on how fast. Where you live and how you take care of it makes a huge difference. I live in BC where they salt the hell outta the roads. If you don't wash underneath the car every now and then, it's gonna be scrap in no time.

Also, there is no vehicle made that doesn't have issues, that's just the bottom line. It again comes down to the owner I think. Do proper preventative maintenence and check it out every once and a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Daily driver that is natural disaster capable and gonna get you out of shit. Wheeling? nothing competative but... Price range? Def under $10,000. Why the first gen xterra?
<10K? That rules out the 2nd Gen X or Frontier. Might want to consider an 02 Pathfinder. The Xterra is a superior off road rig to the 02 Pathy though the Pathy might be a more comfortable DD.

·
Registered
327 Posts
1st gen xterra or frontier, depends on whether or not you need a bed to haul stuff. Make sure you get the six cylinder and if you do it needs a timing belt change at 105k. As long as you do the basic maintenance they will last forever.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would get a Xterra over a pathfinder. The pathfinders are Unibody, and there is not much aftermarket support for them. The xterra's quite a bit of aftermarket support.

·
Registered
183 Posts
<10K? That rules out the 2nd Gen X or Frontier. Might want to consider an 02 Pathfinder. The Xterra is a superior off road rig to the 02 Pathy though the Pathy might be a more comfortable DD.
he wanted to wheel it (i think?). that knocks out the 02 Pathy. i have a 00 Pathy and it's the biggest mistake ever to take it wheelin. don't get me wrong, i wheel it all the time, and wheel the hell out of it and it does really well, but this platform has nearly zero aftermarket compared to the other nissans.

the only advantage the pathfinder has is the low weight. they weigh <4klbs, compared to a 5klb+ Xterra. i don't think my pathfinder has a more comfortable ride than an xterra, even though the pathfinder has a 5-link coil rear and the xterra is on rear leaf springs. they both ride like SUVs.

the 2nd-gen xterra and frontier are out because of price. more importantly, they're out because of the exploding front diff.

you can start going to older vehicles like the hardbody or first-gen WD21 pathfinder, but then you start running into rust issues and high miles. like someone said, any vehicle can rust as quickly as another... except maybe a corvette, but only because the body is fiberglass and the car sits so low that it would be garage-kept all winter anyway. ;)

so ya, 1st-gen xterra!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Frontier ext 4cyl and mod it. I mean SAS, crawler gears and etc.... it will eat jeeps for breakfast and it can be done for waaayyy under $ 10K. Oh! and it makes a daaamnn good DD...

·
Registered
486 Posts
first gen xterra i have wheeled the shit out of mine

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If you want a bed get a frontier. If you want a SUV get an Xterra. They are basically the same vehicle.

My frontier walked up Hells gate with just a rear locker, Calmini 3" lift, and bald tires. The frontier is easier to cut up, and clear bigger tires too IMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get a Patrol. Lots of fun, under 10K, and makes all other vehicles feel like a ride in a Caddy.

Reliable and capable, just not all that comfortable!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I like my First gen Xterra worth the money I paid for it the only bad thing is the crappy front end. One deer damn nearly totalled it out but I guess thats all modern vehicles ARB helped out though now 3 deer later and a tree still looks good. Besides paint damage from tree limbs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts