Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am striping down a YJ frame to put under my CJ 7 tub. I understand the front spring hangers and rear cross member need to be beefed up or replaced. Are there any other areas of concern? Does the frame need steel doublers welded in anywhere?

·
Registered
539 Posts
YJ frames seem to be much stronger than CJ frames.. The only weak point (that I have seen) is on the front frame rails right at the front of the tub (firewall) There are holes drilled on the top edges of the framerail so the frame will "crush" if there is a front end collision. You need to weld up those holes and it will keep your frame warping right there when you are twisted up!

hope this helps!

David
www.homebuiltjeep.com

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
rear cross member and spring hangers. Also I've ripped the steering box off before....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! Tell me more about the holes in the frame. Hadn't heard of that before. Should I plate over them with 1/4" plate?
Let me know what you think.

Mike

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Boulder Rash said:
Thanks!! Tell me more about the holes in the frame. Hadn't heard of that before. Should I plate over them with 1/4" plate?
Let me know what you think.

Mike
Filling these holes with weld will be suffiecient. Adding 1/4" scab plates will only benefit you in the quest for booty fab points.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've lost one rear fixed spring point, and 2 front shackle hangers. Not 'weak', just really lousy factory welds - you could see from looking at the pieces that fell off that the weld never penetrated, and there was just one or two short pieces of weld trying to hold the whole damn thing on. So if you get a chance, try and weld them on better before they fall off on you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
One of my front spring hangers snapped off also. This was while driving over a bumpy road in the city :eek:

I used it as an excuse to do a shackle reversal.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Airpup26 said:
square headlights
Dude Amateur night is over. Slag off.

One thing you might want to do right now to beef the front shackle hanger is to weld a little strap (like a 4x1" piece) of 1/4" at a 45º from the bottom of the bushing back up to the frame behind the bushing (like right below the front bumper). My mate snapped that very same mount off driver's side (classic Jeep use of 16gauge sheetmetal in the suspension), and when I welded it back in, I was sorta worried about the deformation from the breakage and heat from the rewelding, so I put that strap on to bombproof the bitch. Thus far it's held quite well and it might be a good precautionary measure for all you YJ abusers...

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trango said:

Dude Amateur night is over. Slag off.

One thing you might want to do right now to beef the front shackle hanger is to weld a little strap (like a 4x1" piece) of 1/4" at a 45º from the bottom of the bushing back up to the frame behind the bushing (like right below the front bumper). My mate snapped that very same mount off driver's side (classic Jeep use of 16gauge sheetmetal in the suspension), and when I welded it back in, I was sorta worried about the deformation from the breakage and heat from the rewelding, so I put that strap on to bombproof the bitch. Thus far it's held quite well and it might be a good precautionary measure for all you YJ abusers...

Bob
Sounds like a good idea!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts