Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EB that i'm building up and I really don't want it to be my Daily Driver at these times... i have to pump premium plus gas prices are shooting way up as we speak. I'll probably take the thing out every other weekend at the most.. more like 3 times a month or so. I need something that gets atleast 15 mpg, but can tow the bronco to say GLAMIS, from san diego (something that won't go too slow on the hills on the I8) or calico, and what not... i've been thinking about a newer bronco... looked at some older powerstrokes (my budget is like 3k) ... any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I wouldnt expect a newer bronco to get much better than 13.. actually, i wouldnt expect any fullsize v8 truck to get better than 13.

Its up to you what to get, but at 3k, you dont have a very big budget.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I would look at a 83-87 ford diesel, with the 6.9 engine. These are good trucks, and can be had fiarly cheap if you're lucky. I can get 15 with mine light, and with a stick, 17 is about the norm. The older ones aren't terably fast, but their good engines, and will haul anything. Of course, I'm a bit biased. :) :)
~John

·
Registered
104 Posts
The older fords with a 6.9 will pull just fine and get decent mpg.
But, dont plan on getting up those hills very fast, when I towed with my brothers 87, 3rd gear at 40 miles an hour was about it.

Chris

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i would say a 91.5 on up dodge 2wd with a intercooled cummins will fit the bill and get great miliage. just do a standard pump turn up and go. you can do it all your self for nothing, just go the fritzs dodge page http://dodgeram.org/. and it will get 20mpg and tow like a champ. good clean trucks can be had for under 5k. mike

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'd have to suggest the CTD, or perhaps a turned up 6.2 Suburban.
The 6.9 is a great motor, but I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the ford drivetrain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts