Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What application did your fan belt come from? I'm ditching the smog pump and I added the saginaw pump and bracket...I'm also using the AC pump, but I'm building a bracket to put it on the van power steering bracket. Can anyone help me out? I'm just afraid that if I measure for the right length that when I go in they are going to stare at me like a deer in the headlights :flipoff2:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Been there done that don't remember the answer not that it would be the same necessarily. Take a piece of string that doesn't stretch run it around the pulleys and measure how long that is (don't forget to have someone put some tension in the tensioner as you measure. Go to the parts store and find the right belt. Belt part numbers actually make sense, there are some extra numbers but then there will be a number that corelates to how many ribs it has and another that will be the length in inches 625 will be 62.5". It took us a couple of tries since the exact length we were looking for was not available so we had to try a little longer and a little shorter. If you find the right parts store they should allow you to just return it if you explain to them what you are doing. this is where a good napa where they still smoke at the counter and everyone knows your name is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I had to do this with my 5.0 conversion, but I went to Autozone. They guy let me go in back and pick out a few different belts to try out. I went home, selected the one the worked and returned the others. The string trick works great because it will get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Find a parts store that sells gates belts. They all seem to have a handy measuring device that you put the belt on and it tells you the correct part number. Works fine with a piece of string too ;)

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've always used a metal tape measure to get in the ball park and then try various sizes from there.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
dozer dude said:
Mine was about 88.25 "

Motorcraft JK6882A E7PZ-8620-B

Put the tensioner right in middle of it's range

(The 882 in the motorcraft # = 88.2 ")
It's funny, I routed my belt just like that (except I have the air pump delete pulley installed). I had some serious issues with the belt slipping on the water pump until I rerouted the belt. I found that the belt coming from the PS pump to the water pump and to the crank was causing the problems. I then switched it to go from the PS pump, to the crank, and then to the water pump fix the problem. Not sure if this will be an issue for anyone else, but it was a big problem for me because I could not get the water to spin fast enough to keep the motor cool. Plus it was eating the belt very rapidly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wish someone else would chime in about that. I was thinking about running it that way, but it looked like the belt would hit the tensioner again coming back from the alternator. I don't understand how the water pump would spin any faster or slower though. :confused:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I measured for the belt today...I need about an 80" belt. I routed it the way Rock-Rod was describing and ya if the belt is too long then it will hit itself from the water pump to the alternator. We'll see if I can find the belt I need......

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love the internet....I think I found the belt I need :flipoff2: Part number 812K6, 81" long 6 rib serpentine belt. I'm going to pick one up tomarrow :smokin:

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
dozer dude said:
I don't understand how the water pump would spin any faster or slower though. :confused:
Believe me, I don't get it either. I don't know why running the belt that way caused it to slip. I thought running the belt that way would provide more wrap around the PS pulley, but it did not work. maybe it's just a unique situation.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
desertCJ said:
I love the internet....I think I found the belt I need :flipoff2: Part number 812K6, 81" long 6 rib serpentine belt. I'm going to pick one up tomarrow :smokin:
When I measured mine I could use anything between a 80.5" to 81.5" I opted for the 805K6 instead of the 810K6 because it was half the price,...must be a more common size and thjus was way cheaper at Kragen (parts America,..on line).
Just something to consider when pricing.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
dozer dude said:
hey Jeff, how do you have the belt run? Looks like I may need to get a different belt. :(
Mine is different than the pic above, starting from the bottom of the alt pulley my belt goes over the top of the water pump then down to the crank pulley and under to the bottom of the power steering pump then up to the compressor, then over to the tensioner and then to the top of the alt.
Mine is a totaly custom configuration though. I have a home made adaption of the ford PS bracket to a saginaw, and a homemade bracket for a York compressor where the stock AC comp went.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
H8...I added 805K6 to my list of belts...Thanks. The autozone had to order the 812K6 so maybe the 805K6 is more popular?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts