Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
Im currently setting up my crossover steering with Heims. Im wondering what the recommended grade of 3/4in bolt to be used? Grade 8, Grade 5, High tensile Stainless, etc... I did a search and could find much specific about the bolts so figured Id just ask.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Grade 8 or better. Usually racing is grade 9 or F911. At local bolt and fastener suppliers. They are generally 15-20% stronger than a grade 8. And probably regulated closer than a hardware store Grade8.

Some subscribe to the bending vs breaking scenario but F9 is usually the go-to as clamping means something also. Especially if using spacers or mis-alignments.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Torque-Tension Chart for A307 Gr5 Gr8 Gr9.pdf

Most OEM front end bolts and studs are probably made to the F911 specs.

And sometimes Fronts take a beating. When first designing steering racks into independent front 4wd suspensions (Ultra4). 4 ea, 3/4" grade 8 bolts were breaking. Now the racks are keyed to the frames and F911 bolts used.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Hey all,
Im currently setting up my crossover steering with Heims. Im wondering what the recommended grade of 3/4in bolt to be used? Grade 8, Grade 5, High tensile Stainless, etc... I did a search and could find much specific about the bolts so figured Id just ask.
Thanks
be sure to shank the bolt as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if youre a super cool kid you get all those measured, counted and ordered from the airplane store and cry when you cant pay rent the next week :laughing:
Funny... As soon as you mentioned it earlier i text my buddy who is an airplane mechanic... He said they didnt have any that big... but would have snagged some for me if he did...

Where do you source yours from?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Funny... As soon as you mentioned it earlier i text my buddy who is an airplane mechanic... He said they didnt have any that big... but would have snagged some for me if he did...

Where do you source yours from?
psh i aint no cool kid, i dont use that shiz! :flipoff2:

my plane mechanic buddy knows a few places, i can ask him if youre dead set on being :smokin:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Would advise a aircraft bolt? something in a 501 with limited thread on end.

If you are in the socal area I can suggest several places you can purchase them.

They will ship also so no worries about getting them.

Post the size diameter and length you need and I should be able to source it.

I worked at Lockheed aircraft (Burbank Calif) earlier in my existince on this rock, still have some contacts on sources.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would advise a aircraft bolt? something in a 501 with limited thread on end.

If you are in the socal area I can suggest several places you can purchase them.

They will ship also so no worries about getting them.

Post the size diameter and length you need and I should be able to source it.

I worked at Lockheed aircraft (Burbank Calif) earlier in my existince on this rock, still have some contacts on sources.
I will do some measuring tonight...
Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts