Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an F-600 w/ a sleeper on it that has a worn out 6.6 in it. I know a CTD is a bolt in. What can one of these engines really put out, and live a comfortable life? I know, find an 8.3 and forget it, but those things are made of gold.
Would I be better off to find a 7.8 and put it in there? I'm just kicking around Ideas here.
I drove a box truck F-600 w/ a 12v CTD in it, and wasn't all that impressed with it. (It was stock)

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just went back to talk more with the farmer, and he threw another curve ball at me.
He's got a low mileage DT-466 in a rolled over truck that he'll sell me for $5,000 along with the rest of the deal. Has all the electronics, intercooler and everything with it.
It's the 250 HP model.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
if you're swapping a cummins motor into a medium duty truck then swap in the 8.3 liter motor. it is the 5.9's big brother and anything you do to the 5.9 as far as mods wise, you can do to the 8.3 and make more reliable power. 5k for just a motor seems high to me for around here, but i don't know about your region.

·
Premium Member
108,049 Posts
if you're swapping a cummins motor into a medium duty truck then swap in the 8.3 liter motor. it is the 5.9's big brother and anything you do to the 5.9 as far as mods wise, you can do to the 8.3 and make more reliable power. 5k for just a motor seems high to me for around here, but i don't know about your region.

We're talking about the guy that paid $2300 for a R&P job. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
When in the hell are you going to wake up and realize what you should have done in the first place and where you are headed now is buying a class 8 tractor? I'm sure it would be cheaper and if you look hard enough you can find a500HP Cats or Cummins and all you'll have to do is sign the check.

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because for one, I enjoy being a "Hotshotter".
As long as I can stay under 55,000 pounds, I don't have to pay "heavy vehicle use taxes", which many states require you to pay to run through the state. This is an expensive pain in the ass. These states each require an individual fuel/mileage report, and the minimum annual fees are a good bit more than what I would actually owe.
Also, there is a "solidarity" among hotshotters that you don't find anymore in general trucking, even though there is currently a war going on against "Undocumented haulers". These are the guys hauling freight without authority, permits, or commercial insurance, often, they don't have CDL's or medical certifications. Mostly these people infest Uship.com, since that's the only freight site that doesn't verify authority and insurance.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I agree 400 to 450 but you will be rebuilding the engine sooner because it will have higher EGTs on average.

-ben

·
Registered
543 Posts
Personally I'd try to find that last of the inline Bosh pumped DT engines and then you have no electronics to hook up. That's just me though - I hate micro chips in my truck....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
8.3 cummins gettin NO LOVE FROM THE PBB

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The 8.3 got no love from the truck shop I talked to either. They recomended the DT-466 over the 8.3.
They said it was too expensive to work on.
The Cummins C series 8.3L is a great engine, especially in the older 12 valve version. Good service life, very few problems, very reliable. The newer (98-02) ISC is also a great engine that is plagued by a marginal fuel pump (CAPS modulal fuel pump). The current model of ISC is really good, great 24 valve platform with common rail injection.

The DT466 is also a great engine. I don't like the DT466e version because of its HEUI fuel system. Just a poor design, unreliable fuel system that is abusive to the engines lube oil. Outside of that however, good reliable engine.

Money being the same, I would take the Cummins over any other make, any day. But I'm biased, I work for Cummins West.:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts