Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok right now I'm running YJ springs in the front of my s-10 over a FS dana 44. The springs are stock lift springs with the centre pin moved forward 2" so that my 36" will fit. The problem that i'm having right now is that the front end is too soft (when climbing a hill it's the front of my truck that bounces around and not the rear). I've decided to install double shocks on the front and change to brand of shocks (from BDS to Pro Comp). What I'd like to know is my options for what I can do to change the spring rate of my front springs. Right now the springs have neg arch and would at least like to level them out. Should I add another stock spring to the current pack? add a add-a-leaf? or go military wrap?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Throw another leaf or 2 in there. A lot of guys mix and match until they are happy. BTW procomp shocks suck ass. At least the e3000s or what ever I have do.

Charlo

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Lowball if you can't say anything Constructive then please don't comment on my posts. If you don't have anything pertinent to the original post then please stop from making yourself look like a dumb ass.

Thanks for the advise charlo I'm going to grab another set of YJ springs this weekend, just do a little guess and check till I'm happy. What shocks would you suggest for the front? I've had bad luck with the Rancho's and like I said before not very fond of the BDS shocks either. I'm not a hard wheeler and like to crawl around (except in mud that is, but I tend to stay away from it now).

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I use ranchos rs5000's just because they are what I have around. They difinatly can't keep up with my suspension.

However I have been realy impressed with a set of 5100 Series Bilstein shocks my buddie has on his 4 runner. We did a full All Pro solid front suspension/rear leaf setup on his 94 and that is what they gave us. The shocks are just amazing, I have never seen a set of non-remote res shocks work as well as these do. He can full throtel across stuff the the suspension just sucks everything up and keep the tires planted.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool I'll look into those shocks. Do you know off hand if they are a pricy shock or not?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Like others said, mix and match until you find what you are looking for. Mixing different springs is a PITA but you can tune it to exactly what you are looking for, which is very nice. One piece of experience I have had using the mix and match method is when you are putting different springs in the pack, you will find it helpfull to not put a spring with a huge arc in a pack without a very big arc. When I did that, the springs never really settled in, they just kept sagging and sagging, and eventually I was right where I started. Just my .02. By the way, bilsteins are very good shocks, pricey, but good. I have always had good luck with ranchos (good for the money), but know about bilsteins and like them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts