Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw someone posting about using theirs as a brake, I wanna know more :cool2:

What else is this thing good for? Just figured I'd see what people use theirs. For the few times I have used it the thing has been a lifesaver but still..

FYI HF special

·
Registered
523 Posts
Brandon said:
Saw someone posting about using theirs as a brake, I wanna know more :cool2:

What else is this thing good for? Just figured I'd see what people use theirs. For the few times I have used it the thing has been a lifesaver but still..

FYI HF special

It'll crush a beer can flat as a pancake, actually a little flatter than a pancake.

I've wanted to try building a break for my possible using some heavy gauge angle iron, seen pictures. I know you can by them to, but I think most are marketed for the 50 ton presses, but I think a 20 ton would work pretty good for small bends. other than that, I've used my to straighten bent stuff and install bearings, and to press lawn mower tires off their bead.

chad

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
i use mine primarily for bearings and ujoints.
if you have the right jig, its a total life saver for toyota rear axle bearings.
one axle pays for the whole unit :smokin:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought a 20 ton myself from Harbor Freight. One of the first things I did was build a break for it. I used some 2 1/2" angle iron and lots of gussets. It works pretty good but isn't pefect. It leaves a little more of a radius at the break than I had hoped for. We used it to put a offset in some 1/4" plate for my neighbors home made shackles and it worked great for that. I will post some pics of the setup tonight as well as a piece with a bend in it.

-no prob for those damn rear toy bearings though!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I use mine for almost anything that my imagination can conjure up, from u-joints to bearings to forming parts.

I use a variety of things to bend stuff over and around to get the parts I need. Most of it is recycled junk, but some things are purchased like bearing splitters, etc. BTW, old axle bearing inners (after you remove the needle bearings and cage) make wonderful hard, round spacers for holding stuff.

I'm also in the process of making a few special dies for my HF pipe bender to make angles, etc. Sort of a bracket brake. That's almost a no-brainer. Just substitute a piece of angle iron, braced and with a pipe equal to the tool post diameter on the end and go to bending.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
gnob said:
if you have the right jig, its a total life saver for toyota rear axle bearings.
one axle pays for the whole unit :smokin:
Where are the pics? You see how the other description was followed up :flipoff2:

Nice work rockcritter, right click save :grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
okay, imagine this............
a toyota axle housing, now cut it off at the third, now where you cut it off,( the side that doesnt have the carrier spot), weld some plate or something to span the throat on the press.
wala... a perfect jig :flipoff2:

sorry, my star is ran out and i am too broke to renew right now.
its a simple and very effective tool.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A friend of mine made a jig just like the break only instead of angle it is made of 6" pipe cut in half lengthwise. This is used to press a round radius in plate to use as rock guards for the rear quarter panels on CJs. Workd great!

·
Registered
770 Posts
rockcritter said:
It leaves a little more of a radius at the break than I had hoped for.
Just as a suggestion...

Instead of using angle iron on on both parts of the brake (bottom and top), use angle iron on only the bottom.

For the top piece, use something with a point less than 90*.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Brandon, you can make that. Really, it's not a lot of complication there ;)

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's pretty cool, you ever end up making spring plates like in that thread?

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
You can replace the jack with an air/over hydro and instead of pumping like hell just hold a small air handle, much faster/easier

1 - 18 of 18 Posts