Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just saw a video of a guys rig, which hopped while on a climb. just trying to figure out what caused the hop. if you watch close, you can see what i think causes the side hop (1.left rear tire contacts rocks, 2. right rear tire continues to push, 3.this causes the front springs to cock slightly, 4. once it hops, cocked springs launch the rig sideways). but what actually causes the front to hop off of the ground?

link to video

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
i dunno maybe wheelbase...shortwheelbase could have done that. also when he bumped the ledge taht put his driver tire up on that other rock that was high up...and short wheel base and gravity probably did it....this is just some guesses

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
I looked at that a bunch of times and it looks like a few things went together at the same time.

Lite front end.
Ledge rear wheels were going up was off set.
Slight tire spin left rear wheel which caused the front to slide and started the hop.
To much gas.

Just an arm chair opinion.

Was he OK?

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
so what about the hop, all he had to do is let off the brake and let it roll back. Looks like the was no locker or one not turned on in the rear. The left rear tire should have pulled it up the ledge if it was on (I cant really tell if the left rear was turning or not). As soon as the right rear pivoted around and got traction, it hooked up. Like I said, letting the brake off would have kept it from rolling

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
That just looked like one of those bad-luck deals. Not much he could have done but reacted with the clutch faster, which not many of us could have done either.

Short wheelbase = be super careful on that kinda stuff. That is why we wear seatbelts.

Glad he is OK.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hard to tell from that video since we can't see the driver side rear tire turning, but it looks like the pass side rear tire got a good bite(based on tire chirp) which lifted the front and pitched the rig over.

Oh, and great job trying to save the rig with your leg :flipoff2:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looked to me like when the left rear hit the ledge it cause the drivetrain to load up and the hop happened when it unloaded the torque all at once. Lucky dumbass.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Simple. Poor gearing caused that. it's obvious to me he's prolly around 50 or 60 to one. Way too much speed for that obsticle. Combo:

Light front end + too much speed + short wheelbase = front end up, LR tire hit ledge, with front end in air, light, spun to the left and when it came down, it was off camber and the "bite" on the tires stopped while the momentum of the top of the rig kept going. If he was geared right, and crawled it, could have been avoided.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
snobrder said:
Hard to tell from that video since we can't see the driver side rear tire turning, but it looks like the pass side rear tire got a good bite(based on tire chirp) which lifted the front and pitched the rig over.

Oh, and great job trying to save the rig with your leg :flipoff2:
agreed....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good god :eek:
All other plans out the window, next thing I'm doing is getting my stock shit outta there and getting a new cage. That woulda kicked my 6'4" ass.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts