Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used AR upper awhile back, and I'm not sure if it's chambered in 5.56 or .223 I don't really care what it is because all my ammo is .223 From what I've read .223 ammo can be shot out of both chambers.

Now I want sell this thing and I'm sure someone's going to ask if it's .223 or 5.56 and I have no idea.

Complete upper came from model1sales.com Barrel is stamped M1S 1:9
It's a 16" carbine length upper with A2 receiver. I've tried calling and e-mailing model1sales directly but haven't had much luck getting through.

Is there anything I can measure to check. Is it marked under the handguard maybe? Thanks in advance.

Chad

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
Most likely a 5.56.

Just run the goddamn thing and don't worry unless you have problems. The AR chart reader fags have seriously overinflated this problem.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Current catalog most of their stuff looks like 5.56.

Any idea how old it is?

I would continue trying to contact them.

FWIW I have had a .223 barrel pop primers on milsepc 5.56 ammo. ie. over pressure. it is a real concern and really could be dangerous.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I agree, I don't give a shit. But I know as soon as I put up for sell some couch camando is going to want to know what it is. I've got two AR's and I want to sell this one to fund my .308 build.

Edit, I bought it used about 6 months ago, guy I bought it from bought it new. Maybe a year to 18 months old.

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
FWIW I have had a .223 barrel pop primers on milsepc 5.56 ammo. ie. over pressure. it is a real concern and really could be dangerous.
Yes, but it's OBVIOUS when there's an issue.

Get some mil spec 5.56, pop off a couple rounds, inspect casings for pressure signs. If there are none, live life and enjoy. If they have flattened primers or blown primers, then you have a barrel to put on gunbroker.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Stupid question but have you pulled the handguards and looked for an engraving on the barrel?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless it's marked under the hand guard there's no stamping or engraving to distinguish the caliber that I can see. The only stamping I see is M1S 1:9. I really don't care what the caliber is since all my ammo is .223. But I know as soon as I put it up for sale some jackass is going to want to know which caliber it is.

I guess I'll pull the hand guard off and see if there's any other markings hiding under there. If not I'll pick a box of 5.56 and plink a couple this weekend and hope nothing blows up in my face.

Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts