Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m ready to buy chop saw number 3….. I have killed 2 Dewalts in the last 1 ½ ……. What do you all like. I use my chop saw maybe 1 hour a week… I use a 14 inch style.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Well I have to say Dewalt, cause that is what I run. But if you are looking to change, try the Porter Cable brand. That is a very good industrial brand and people seem to have good luck with them.

Also, what blades do you use? Unfortunately the Dewalt's turn a lot faster (3400rpm's) than alot of others so you can't use the carbide style wheels, unless you want to shell out $225 for one. :eek: The porter cable runs at 1350-1450, I believe, which you can get carbide blades for about half the price.

Ken

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
ever consider just getting a bandsaw?
Probably could have gotten a decent one and many blades with all the money youve spent on chop saws.
Granted they are slower but they work better and are more accurate IMO.

MJ

·
Registered
130 Posts
How about upgrading to a multicutter saw? They are more expensive than chop saws but might be higher quality and last longer.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I've got one of the $60 HF units also, does just fine, I've gone through 4-5 blades so far...really useful tool.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
ColoYJ said:
How about upgrading to a multicutter saw? They are more expensive than chop saws but might be higher quality and last longer.
My DeWalt multi cutter is a flimsy POS.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I use a milwaukee.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a black & decker professional that I bought in 1986 and I can't even begin to figure out how many blades I have used up and it has been used hard and never had a problem.

We also have the same model at work and it has been trouble free for 13 years

rich

·
Registered
583 Posts
There are two models of dewalt, the 3hp, and the 5hp. Which one are you using. i have the 5 and have used the crap out of it with no problems.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Stephenw said:
Get one of these:

$199 at Harbor Freight.

There are a lot of websites about upgrades you can do to this saw to make it into a acceptable tool. Here's one:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm
The only problem with that model of bandsaw is it's hard to use an oiler for the blade without making a mess. Using an oiler on the blade will triple the life of your blades.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
me too

I burned up my first dewalt (15 amp) saw before I finished my flat bed. It lasted all of 2 weeks. I let it cool down good after every 8 cuts or so, slow & easy on the cuts yadda, yadda, yadda. Got it replaced and the "newer" one is on its way out the frickin door. Maybe I just got 2 bad ones but it seams like it does not even like to cut 2x2x1/4 angle. Also neither one has cut square from the start. I had to bolt them down and shim up under the spring. I have an older Makita 13 amp that never gives up, throw it on the table and cut away.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a grizly bandsaw that came with the cooling system and love it. It is the same as the ENCO 6 1/2 x 10 but was arround 350.00 shipped when I got it. I have had it for 2 years know and would not trade it for anything. Besides it is less than the dry cut saws that sell for 450.00 plus and can do more. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
519 Posts
raptorman57 said:

The only problem with that model of bandsaw is it's hard to use an oiler for the blade without making a mess. Using an oiler on the blade will triple the life of your blades.
I didn't put a lot of effort into finding website links for that saw. I have come across a couple pages (in the past) where people have modified that saw for coolant use. They made a catch tray and pump assembly, and used the water soluble type coolant.

This is what I use:

Most people cannot make an accurate cut with one though. They do make stands for it to use like a chopsaw, but they are big $$$$.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm on my second HF chop saw. My first one lasted through 3 years of abuse and I happily paid $50 for another one. My friend has a Dewalt that is much more sturdy then mine and cuts a little truer but not $100 better. The only time I curse my cheapy saw is if I need something to be precise, like mating two 45 degree cuts. Other then that it rips through .120 wall and whatever else I need to cut no prob. I also use the HF blade if that matters.

Travis

1 - 20 of 24 Posts