Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the coil springs are gettin old an weak on my 97 TJ, especially the right rear. it droops real bad when i let the clutch out, i know my 4 banger is a torque monster beast:flipoff2: but that shouldnt happen. prob is my lift kit is ancient and it was on there when i bought it, and the former owner didnt install it either so hes no help. can i just put a 4" lift spring in and forget about it or do i need to measure the lower control arm length or somethin? its either a 3.5 or 4" lift, i think. all the parts used to be red (now rust) and the kit only had front lca, tcase drop, track bar brackets. any ideas?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
So you're looking at replacing only a single spring? I wouldn't do that as the different spring rates (potential) could make driving it....interesting. I'd replace all 4 with whatever lift height you want and that would go with the control arms. Being still short arm...I wouldn't go any higher than 3", especially with 30" tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, i wanna replace them all, :flipoff2: the right rear is just the worst under acceleration. if i tried to put too long or too short a spring in there wouldnt it gimme funny angles? my real question should be will it hurt to put 4" springs into a 3.5" kit, and is there any way i could tell what my lift is by measuring the lower link center to center?

·
Registered
16,095 Posts
Short arms are usualy 16" I'd think you could get a better idea from the free length of the spring. Stock front springs should be about 17, 17.5" my 2.5" Rancho front springs are 20" free length. If you get much over 3" of lift you'll need adjustable arms to get the pinion angle back normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so since i only have non adustable aftermarket lower arms i most likely have a 3.5" lift. I been eyin some RE springs for 3.5, i think ill go that route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts