Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and have not seen anything that would help. My rig is on the lift and the axles are not attached so I can't move it and weigh it.

I'm looking for spring rate for a coilover setup for a short wheelbase rig. I'm looking for a ballpark figure to start with so I can minimize having to buy extra coils as a result of the "mistake."

My rig is an FJ40 with with 108" wheelbase, 350 motor, TH400/Atlas riding on 65" WMS to WMS D60 axles with 42" tires on a 4 link suspension. Going with 14" long 2" wide coilover shocks.

The front of the rig has a custom bumper and 8274. I figure it will add about 250 lbs to the front end. It will have some custom front fenders which should add more weight.

The rear will have less weight with a small rear bumper, but I'll have a luggage rack built and will propably put another 150 lbs in the rear.

Please let me know what spring rate you're using. My inital guess is going to be
150/300 front and 100/250 for the rear.

Thanks is advance,
Charles

·
Vendor
3,745 Posts
I am using an 80 lb tender, and a 200 and 250 up front, and a 100 and 300 in the back, but my ride is totally different than yours, mine weighs 3500#, yours probably weighs something else, before you ask anyone this question and expect to get a good answer you need to weigh your ride and get a good estimate of the unsprung weight, I am talking about scales here and not "I think it weighs this."

·
Registered
214 Posts
The rates will all change depending on the mounting points of the shocks, mounting angle, etc. My friend uses a 250 over a 280 in the rear of his toyota, but the lover mounting point is on the arm, about 14" in front of the axle.
Really need some numbers to figure it out correctly.
Phil

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
indysand said:
The rates will all change depending on the mounting points of the shocks, mounting angle, etc. My friend uses a 250 over a 280 in the rear of his toyota, but the lover mounting point is on the arm, about 14" in front of the axle.
Really need some numbers to figure it out correctly.
Phil
You haven't provided enough info including weight to help, but I have FJ w/big block, 12k warn in the front and run 400/300. I's close, but I could go to 450/350 and be a little better off.

I ran 400/200 and dialed the tender out completely because it collapsed on every big bump.

My truck weighs about 6000 lbs. Yours likely weighs somewhat less. :)

Tim.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else with a short wheelbase rig? What spring rates are you running?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts