Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What coils are you running?

What coil springs are you using under your Scout II? I'm getting ready to do a 3 or 4 link front and a 4 link rear on coils with the wheel base streched a litle. I would like to know what spring rates and lenghts you guys are using. Only changes to truck so far is a 350 SBC swap w/ sm465/203/205, d60's front and rear. I will most likely bob and dove tail the rear and tapper the front to shead some weight. I plan on keeping it low as possible on 40's. 25 to 30 inch belly.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
OH no no no newb this is way to high tech for the IH section, take this to General :flipoff2:

I run Coil overs 200lb over 250lb and they are a tad stiff for most trails, but good when the front end is off the ground :smokin: My mods are in my sig (we should be kinda close) :evil:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked in faq and didn't find anything on coil spring lenghts or rates. I only seen 1 or 2 threads that someone used coils on the rear but nothing was noted.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I just finished the rear 4 link on mine on a budget. Im just using a set of 3" lift XJ front coils and Im VERY happy with them. It rides way nice compared to the leafs, flexxes amazingly and the absolute best part.....its way more stable than it was with leafs on the back! I did mount them as outboard as I dared which might have something to do with the stability plus Im running dual pro comp elcheapo shocks

My front 4 link is 16" fox coilovers with a 250 over a 350 spring if I remember right. Im running a big block Ford tho.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just finished the rear 4 link on mine on a budget. Im just using a set of 3" lift XJ front coils and Im VERY happy with them. It rides way nice compared to the leafs, flexxes amazingly and the absolute best part.....its way more stable than it was with leafs on the back! I did mount them as outboard as I dared which might have something to do with the stability plus Im running dual pro comp elcheapo shocks

My front 4 link is 16" fox coilovers with a 250 over a 350 spring if I remember right. Im running a big block Ford tho.....
man i love that rig!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I used Bronco 2" lift springs on mine, I used them frt and rear. Mine flexs well, will max out on an RTI forward or backwaed. It rides like a Buick and wheels better that I can drive:homer: I have eldebrock shocks two at each wheel. I have thought about coilovers but the springs work so well I am going to stay with them and look at good bumpstops. I am looking at JKS bumpstops that have the upper spring mount incorperated.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After several hours of looking at various coils I decided to use "Rock Crawler 4 1/2" Coil Springs" for an early bronco up front and "Rock Crawlers 3 1/2" Coil Springs" for the rear. I figure with the front being heavier than the rear the 1 inch difference will hopfully make the rig sit level. Wild horses has them for around $300 for all 4.

I'll start a build thread just as soon as I get all my parts in and get started.

·
Registered
645 Posts
After several hours of looking at various coils I decided to use "Rock Crawler 4 1/2" Coil Springs" for an early bronco up front and "Rock Crawlers 3 1/2" Coil Springs" for the rear. I figure with the front being heavier than the rear the 1 inch difference will hopfully make the rig sit level. Wild horses has them for around $300 for all 4.

I'll start a build thread just as soon as I get all my parts in and get started.
I have the Wild horses 5" in the front of mine. On back I am using some custom TJ springs a friend had lying on the shelf. Ya I know, what a sin,:flipoff2: but they made it sit level and the price was right and then I could save time and order ballistic spring mounts.

Flexes on the trail good and they ran out of ramp @ RMIHR. Here are a couple pics of front set up. Belly is 24.5" if I remember right on 42's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I used 4" Ford lift coils in the front for stability and 2" Ford lift coils in the rear and it's really stable without a swaybar. They are Skyjacker lift coils made for the Fullsize Bronco around the mid-late 80's through early 90's model. Thinking of finally moving up to coilovers, though. Missed out on the new Rockwells I was trying to buy so back to the drawng board for the new suspension.

Flexy enough for this...

but strong enough for this...

Sean

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scout1ton do you have a pic of your rig sitting level? If so please post up I would like to see how it sits. I figured the 5" lift springs would be to tall. However your clearence is about where I want to be on 40-42. Thanks

·
Registered
645 Posts
Scout1ton do you have a pic of your rig sitting level? If so please post up I would like to see how it sits. I figured the 5" lift springs would be to tall. However your clearence is about where I want to be on 40-42. Thanks
Notice in the closer shot of the two I posted the coil buckets go up into the frame. I actually cut the frame and built a new sub-frame with a piece of pipe on the backof it. Welded it to the old frame and the coils go up into the pipe to utilize a longer coil w/lower stance. Here is a pic from RMIHR earlier this year. I will check belly heidth and let you know for sure. 22.5"-23" @ trail pressures (Its still on the trailer w/trail pressures)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
All you guys that used Ford lift springs it would help if you stated if they were full size or early Bronco springs and what brand they were. Reading the Ford forums there is quite a difference in spring rates between some of the brands. Otherwise, great topic and thanks for all the cool pics.

·
Registered
645 Posts
All you guys that used Ford lift springs it would help if you stated if they were full size or early Bronco springs and what brand they were. Reading the Ford forums there is quite a difference in spring rates between some of the brands. Otherwise, great topic and thanks for all the cool pics.
Mine are EB Wild Horses. Since new they have sagged about .5" in 3 years or wheelin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts