Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when you swapped in the big disc brake setups in your lighter rig did you do anything about your existing brake lines?
The reason I ask is that my YJ has 3/16" lines and I'm putting in a E-350 master, F-350 front discs and calipers and F-350 rear discs with Corvette calipers.
Recently I ordered some 3/16" lines from Classic Tube (without thinking about it :rolleyes:) Did I goof? or will 3/16 be allright compared to 1/4"?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Keep the 3/16 lines. You're not concerned with flow because your brakes operate as a closed system.

Increasing the line size increases the surface inside area of the line which in turn increases the amount of line flex under braking. This may give you a mushy pedal.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
3/16 is fine, and no 1/4" will not "flow more volume". The volume displaced is entirely dependant on the bore and stroke of your MC piston

·
Registered
234 Posts
A smaller diameter line will cause the brakes to apply more slowly than a larger diameter in a panic stop situation.
Some manufacturers used different sized lines to adjust brake application speed front to rear.

hth
K.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Killer, thanks for the replies.
I was thinking the smaller line might give a firmer petal but, I wanted to be sure.
Phew close one, usually when I think I fawked up..........

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Keyster said:
A smaller diameter line will cause the brakes to apply more slowly than a larger diameter in a panic stop situation.
Some manufacturers used different sized lines to adjust brake application speed front to rear.

hth
K.
??????????????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts